Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq V5000 laptop out of memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xxxpaisleyxxx

xxxpaisleyxxx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

:question: I upgraded it to 2gb a couple of years ago. Please explain to the stupid people[me] why they don't make a bigger upgrade so I can keep going? and what could I move/do away with to lower the used space? :scratchhead:
I know nothing, I just work here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What version of Windows?

A little more detail would be helpful as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 xxxpaisleyxxx

xxxpaisleyxxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

it's home version of windows xp

#4 xxxpaisleyxxx

xxxpaisleyxxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

and thanks for the welcome :) , if you tell me what you need to know i will find it and post it for you :unsure: ... I appreciate the help

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

You can trust the advice that you get here at BC.
Very good folks from all over the world volunteer their time to assist.
We have to know what e are dealing with.

Please explain the issue in a little more detail.
One sentence really doesn't give us much to go on.

The more info on the problem the better.

Edited by Eyesee, 09 June 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#6 xxxpaisleyxxx

xxxpaisleyxxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

it is a compaq presario v5000, it came with home version windows xp and a celeron m. i got it 4 years ago, i use it predominately for goofing off on facebook and word and excel occasionally. I had a huge amount of pictures stored on it but I moved them to a 8gb stick. It ran out of memory 3 years ago so I went and bought the 2 gb upgrade. Now it is almost out of memory again and I can't afford to buy a new computer so I was hoping to just add more memory upgrade..

Edited by xxxpaisleyxxx, 09 June 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Nope

I think you might be confusing memory with hard drive space.

When you work on things, like on the net or Excel, those programs are loaded into memory.
When the system is turned off basically the memory is flushed.
There is nothing there. Waiting for what you want to do next when you turn it back on.

Your hard drive, however, is where all your stuff is stored.
When you tell the system to open a file, whatever that might be, it accesses your hard drive for it and loads that info into memory.

Please try to explain your issue in more detail so that everyone here can understand it.
What problems are you having?

Have you checked the system for viruses and malware yet?
If so, what programs did you use?

#8 xxxpaisleyxxx

xxxpaisleyxxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

I suppose you are correct and I am too stupid to explain it any better. I lost my husband in Feb. he just too it to have it fixed for me now I have to figure it out on my own..

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Sorry to hear about your husband.
Lots of people confuse hard drive space with memory.
They are two different things.

Are you getting a message something to the extent of that the system is low on virtual memory?

Explain the problem you are having in a little more detail & we will see if someone can assist you.

#10 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

As stated earlier, there are two kinds of "memory" RAM and Hard Disk space.

Let's rule out Hard Disk space:

When you start windows, press the start button on the left bottom of your screen, and go to "my computer" then right click on the drive with the letter "C"
A menu will appear, select "properties" at the bottom of the menu. When you do this a little box will appear that that shows you how much used space you have, and how much free space you have. Please write down the used space and the free space.
If you have a lot of free space, than it is doubtful that your hard disk is low on space. But if you have very little free space (normally less than 2 Gb) than the "memory" you speak of is actually low hard disk space.

If the hard drive is low on space there are four things you can do:
1. Delete movies, and other unneeded things, and then empty "recycling bin".
2. when you right click your C drive and go to properties, you can select "disk cleanup" this will delete temporary files, and unneeded files stored in your web browser.
3. Remove unneeded programs such as old video games and stuff. Do this by going to start, control panel, add and remove programs. Then select the stuff on the list to uninstall. But only uninstall things you don't want or need.
4. Buy a second hard drive to transfer non essential files to. Store your music, movies, and games on your new hard drive, and keep your current hard drive just for essential files. When buying a new hard drive, you don't have to throw away the old one, you can use more than one at a time.

Oh yeah, when you check the space on C drive, make a note of how much is used and how much is free, then post the results here on the forum if you are unsure of how much free Hard Disk space you need. We will look at the free space and see if it is likely low on space. As a general rule, 4 gigs or less free space means your hard disk is running very low, and "low memory" errors occur when the free space is less than 2 GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users