Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

have I lost Visual Studio Professional 2010 for good?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Hey all,
I just recently had an issue where I have to reinstall Visual Studio 2010 after some stuff got goofed up, and now I can't reinstall it using the methods I know best for some reason. Most often when an Iso image is involved, but the image is not bootable, I prefer to use a virtual CD rom emulator to emulate the CD drive rather than fooling with burning to a physical CD. In this case, my virtual drive is UltraIso, which according to support has issues emulating CDs in Windows 7, didn't work giving me the error "E:\application not found". So I tried the old physical burning method. That didn't work either since the disc drive of my laptop simply shot the disc back at me after starting the burning process. The funny thing is that the CD was given to me by my grandfather, and he is very computer savvy, and to his knowledge, I wasn't using the CD for music. Could I have the wrong disc type? My question to you is do you know of any free virtual CD rom drives that can emulate CDs with .img files on them? UltraIso has never had issues with this before the infamous hard drive failure of my laptop late last year. I was on Windows 7 then as well. The other thing is the way Microsoft engineered their Visual Studio installers, they seem to really want you using a CD or virtual CD drive emulator (though they don't say that), since when I used UltraIso's other capability, it's image file extraction function, I was greeted by an error from the Visual Studio installer claiming that setup couldn't find htmllite.dll. Evidentally, that file is one included when the setup runs from disc. Any feedback on this would be great.

Thanks,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jeffman1

jeffman1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Make sure when burning the cd ona laptop to use imgburn because the laptop wants to shoot the disc out of the laptop drive before verification on some laptops.

Also, make sure to push it back in before the verification process.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

You're kidding me right? So you're saying that it's my laptop? That's good in a way because it means that I haven't done anything stupid for a change. But do you know of any free virtual Cd rom drives capable of emulating .img files?

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I brought the issue back to the original person who was giving me a hand with it. It would be impossible to describe what happened since upon reinstallation of the program (I found a free CD-rom emulator), and upon program startup, so many modules were corrupted that it'd be almost impossible to list all of the errors here. It was basically the same every time simply telling me that module after module failed to load correctly.

#5 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

Not 100% what's going on here. So you are trying to reinstall VS2010 but it's failing?? As for the CD-Emulator or physical: you are infact able to extract everything from the ISO and then run the Setup.exe manually and it will kick off the install. Never had an issue doing it that way before??? Are you still having issues if so then could you give more details as to what exactly is going on?

BT
-BrendanT

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

I'll give you as much as I can. I managed to reinstall the program, using an emulated CD-Rom (otherwise the program complains that htmllite.dll's missing), and the set of problems that caused me to uninstall it originally are still present, so I uninstalled and reinstalled about two more times (this time, using the VS 2010 uninstall utility from the command line), and still my current problem persists (that being that under the web node, half my templates are missing from the new project dialog), but during uninstallation, some of the components didn't come out of the control panel list of programs, and now I'm trying to follow the directions of a moderator at Microsoft, and he says that since I can see the full array of templates as zip files under common7\ide, then I can just re-register them using devenv /installvstemplates and then devenv /setup, which will enable me to see them by the new project/new item dialogs. I've been following his directions to the best of my ability, but everything we try, including the use of the command line switches seems to fail. They all just seem to put a space in the middle of the command causing it not to be executed. I've never seen that before. It's very strange. That's the basic scoop.

#7 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

hmmm this is rather interesting, i had a similar problem with Visual Studio Lightswitch. What I'm going to suggest is time consuming but it will rule out a few things.

What you need:

1) Your OS installation disk
2) Your CPU supports VT
3) VMWare Player
4) VS 2010 Installation (Preferably extracted)

Now I need you to create a VM (don't worry about a product key or any sort of registration we are just doing this for testing). Install whatever OS you have/want into a VM using VMWare Player. Once that has finished attempt to install VS again in the VM.

If the installation fails again go into the VM's EventLogs and filter it to show only items related to VS and the installation of VS. Then save it to your desktop. Then upload that saved logs to here so i can have a look.

If you don't really want to goto all the trouble of doing that then if you could upload the EventLogs on your pc relating to VS and the installation so i can have a look that would be great.

BT
-BrendanT

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

I can't virtualize it, because that would mean that a sighted individual would have to take time away from what they're doing to read to me all of the windows prompts. I'm blind, you know, so I'll send you the current logs. Can you tell me the ID I'm looking for in there, and I can filter them out by it? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users