Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell OEM Restore CD to Recover windows installation on HP?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 atokatim

atokatim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hello all! My first post and I really need help :P

I have an HP system that was attacked by a registry virus and have tried everything I can think of to get this fixed without losing the customer's data / programs. All of our windows installation CD's are scripted for hands off installation so I can't use those. I have run across a Dell OEM recovery CD and was wondering if I can Repair...Not reinstall... the operating system on the HP?

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure what repairing the OS is going to do for you. The system will still be infected and it won't help you recover the files. I'd suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum and ask for help removing the infection.

#3 atokatim

atokatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

I followed the steps in other posts to remove the virus and now the registry is apparently missing keys causing blue screens in safe mode and normal. We recently recovered a Dell with the same OEM CD after the same virus attacked that computer and it blue screen after cleanup. Once back into Windows, we ran Mbam, spybot, and SAS which cleaned up the leftovers.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

So you are fairly certain the system is now free of malware? In that case you should be able to use ANY XP CD of the same version (Home or Pro) and service pack as is currently installed to do a repair install. May I assume you are familiar with the procedure or would you like some direction?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

<<All of our windows installation CD's are scripted for hands off installation so I can't use those.>>

Does that prevent you from using a tool like nLite...to make a Windows CD that can be used to repair install XP?

<<I have run across a Dell OEM recovery CD...>>

By definition...a recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults mechanism developed by an OEM...is not equal to a MS Genuine Windows CD/DVD. Such disks routinely include drivers applicable to the system/chipset for which they were designed...which, of course, should create a conflict on any other system with different components.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Dell OEM cd's do not typically include drivers. They are generally regular XP Cd's that are "tied" to the system. Drivers are provided on separate discs. There is no reason not to use the OEM CD if it works.

#7 atokatim

atokatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

Yes, we use nLite as our installation disk creator, but for some reason, the owner did not put the repair option on there. We pop the disk in and it installs. Only thing we have to enter is the license key on the case.

I was afraid of the driver issue which is why that is not a step I have tried. Unfortunately, there is no recovery partition on the drive either, so I guess my best bet is to format and reinstall the OS :(

I have also tried ERDC to attempt a system restore, but the customer apparently turned off system restore so there are no restore points :(

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Again, use the OEM version of Windows. If it's the correct version it's fine.

#9 atokatim

atokatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Ok, thank you very much! You all were a great help! I will be sure to post in the right place next time :P

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

BTW, you can also use the oem disk to create an nlite install disc if you like.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

"without losing the customer's data "

I would highly recommend backing up the customers data before you do anything to the system!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

While it's always a good idea to backup critical data, a repair installation will not effect installed programs or Windows settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users