Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad block on hard drive not sure what to do

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

I was recently given (for free) and old Dell Dimension 2400. I brought the computer home in my car and was very careful with it. A few weeks later when I turned it on, it was slow to boot. In the event viewer, it shows that the hard drive has a bad block which it didn't have before I brought it home.

Should I assume that the hard drive was damaged at some point during the car ride? Or could this possibly be due to something else? When I first set it up at my house, I plugged it into a surge protector. When I turned the surge protector on, I heard a strange noise from the computer. I suppose it was like a clicking type noise which last only a second or two. Then I turned on the computer. Could there be a power problem somewhere that's causing or caused the bad block?

I need to keep the hard drive working as long as possible (weeks or possibly a few months). Once I get my own computer fixed, I can then worry about replacing the hard drive in the Dell. What should I do to keep the hard drive working as long as possible? I have no idea what brand the hard drive is.

Here are the specs:
Dell Dimension 2400
Intel Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz
640 GB DDR RAM
40 GB IDE hard drive
Windows XP SP2 or SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

You can also type chkdsk c: /r into the Run box. It will ask you if you want it to run on the next restart. Press y, then Enter. When you restart the computer, the disk check will run. This might take a few hours, depending on the amount of bad blocks the drive has.

40GB hard drives have not been made in a long time. The drive may have reached its expected lifespan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users