Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 07 no longer prompts to save

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1true

1true

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

The machine is Windows xp pro version 2002 service pack 3. All critical updates have been installed.

The problem is in microsoft office small business 2007 version: 12.0.6425.1000
Excel works fine. When working in Word however, if you close a document the software no longer prompts to
save changes before closing and the changes you have made are lost if you have not already saved.

Another I believe, related problem is trying to open a document from the word 07 file menu.
If you open a word document from windows explorer it will open the word application and load the file without error.
If you open the word application, then select the open button, no file selection window appears and you get an error sound. You can still open recent documents from the file menu.
No add ins are running. I tried deleting the normal.dotm file and reopened word with no sucsess.

I uninstalled then reinstalled office,and tried to run word in safe mode with the same results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I see that you have deleted normal.dot and normal.dotm
That is the standard Word fix

But as I understand, you are having issues opening files in different ways.

Are you sure that normal.dot or normal.dotm was deleted and recreated successfully?

Edited by Eyesee, 09 June 2011 - 10:58 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

Strange that the problem is still there after uninstalling and reinstalling (possibly try the Microsoft Mr Fix it uninstall).

Have you installed any software recently that may be interfering with Office in some way.
Have you tried a system restore to a point before this problem occured (assuming it did run OK before).

#4 1true

1true
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:40 AM

Thank you both for the speedy response and the welcome.
I have searched and made use of this forum in the past.
I am happy to now be a member.

Eyesee - after deleting normal.dotm I performed another search of c: for "normal.dot" including hidden files which is how I found the normal.dotm file in the first place. After the delete, no files were found using this method.
That is the only way that I know how to check for it.

Jodav - I forgot to mention that I tried system restore to the last available point back in Feb 2011 with no luck. System restore had been disabled some time after that by the user so no other restore points were available.

The user cannot recall any recent software installs and the Adobe add in that has worked fine for numerous months has been disabled. I will try to uninstall Adobe completely to see if that helps.

To clarify I selected the Remove option from the office 07 upgrade disc to uninstall the software after having no sucess with the repair option. Today I will try going into control panel and performing the uninstall, Then reinstall Office 03 and check for the errors prior to installing the 07 upgrade.
I will have to research the Microsoft Mr Fix it uninstall. Ive never heard of it.

#5 1true

1true
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

so I uninstalled office from control panel, add remove programs rebooted, then installed office 03 and let windows install critical updates from the windows update site. I then reactivated the software, rebooted and word 2003 worked. I then installed the office 2007 upgrade and again allowed windows update to run, rebooted and word 07 still will not open documents from the file menu or prompt to save when closing. I also discovered that if you try to create a new document you are not allowed to save the new document.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users