Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes with error message

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:52 AM

A neighbour has terrible trouble with viruses and asked me to have a look. The system was impossible to use so we decided to reinstall Windows XP. Everything went OK but the display would only default to the basic VGA mode and the buttons in display properties which allow the driver to be updated were greyed out preventing the correct driver being installed. I fiddled about with the display adapter settings and increased it to 1024 x 768 and tried to restart the machine. The display was blank. I restarted in Safe Mode to try and get at the display properties window but the system suddenly stopped with the message

c000021a (fatal system error).

I've tried restarting in both safe and normal modes each time I get the message. The Microsoft Knowledge base only refers to Go Back which I don't think is part of the normal XP package

Help please
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:47 PM

Can you boot into safe mode? If so boot into safe mode and double click on the system icon in the control panel. Find the display adapter and delete it. Then reboot into normal mode and see if you can get in now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users