Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot windows update.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jericho380

jericho380

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Every time I go to update a windows xp desktop computer,
The page says to turn on my automatic updates. If I press that link, it just turns a different color. When I click on the express or custom tabs for the update, I get an error message that windows cannot connect to the update. Also, when I check the automatic updates on this computer, it signifies that it is indeed on, but the "apply" button is also highlighted. Clicking on this greys it out, but no changes. This computer runs windows xp with service pack 3, SAS, Mbam and avast! antivirus. I tried the fix-it tools from Microsoft, to no avail as every tool for that problem comes up as a could not install or program already installed. This computer had the winxp 2011 antivirus virus on it which I managed to get rid of, but while I was away, one of the other users deleted, rather than send to chest, 2 virus infected files that avast! had found. Not sure what the virus was as he deleted the log also. So here I am at my wits end trying to get the updates from Microsoft and am not able to. Can anyone help? I do have computer knowledge, but just enough to make me dangerous. Added note, went into services and noticed that any update service does not exist for automatic updates.
Thanks in advance,
Jericho380
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

Apologize for posting this, but I managed to repair the issue. I found re-install instructions on Microsoft's web site and located a missing .dll file. If you need any information on this please feel free to message me on this thread.
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users