Jump to content
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:13 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:18 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:23 PM
- I don't have the Windows CDs
Boot to your Windows cd and the installation routine will begin
- I am trying to understand this step. Once the system has been reformatted, how do I re-install my drivers? (starting with chipset drive)
Early on you'll be given the option to format before installing - choose that option. Then install the OS. After you get to the desktop you'll need to install all drivers, starting with the chipset drive
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:26 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:31 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:34 PM
- I don't know if the system has a recovery partition, but if someone can walk me thru how to determine that, I would greatly appreciate it.
Do you know if your system has a recovery partition?
- No, I am trying to help my best friend fix this pc. He brought it over a few days ago, and I am pretty sure the computer is quite old; and doesn't have a clue where his CDs are.
Did you receive ANY cd's with your system?
- That being said, I assume I need to determine the video card, sound card, ethernet card, etc; I don't know how, if someone could walk me thru how I determine where I can find what I need to know- would greatly appreciate it.
And drivers can be obtained from the websites of the various hardware manufacturers (ie, video card, sound card, ethernet card, etc). The chipset driver can be obtained from the website of either your computer or motherboard manufacturer
- I am using: Compaq Presario 6000; Windows XP Home sp2
What is the make and model of your computer.
- I understand, no worries and no rush.
BTW - I'm about to go off line for a couple of hours but I'm sure someone else will jump in. If not, I'll check back when I return.
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:47 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:55 PM
I really feel stupid for not knowing how to determine the exact model of the presario. I see two stickers on the top of the pc. It says: Compaq Presario 6450NX
Compaq lists a Presario 6000EA and a Presario 6000KS
Could you double check the model # pls
Also check the Windows sticker on the side of the system to see what version of Windows the system shipped with.
Edited by infected mqan, 09 June 2011 - 01:09 PM.
Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:30 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:50 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:21 PM
(source: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00007689/en_us/bph07143/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=240121 )
This document provides different options for obtaining or creating recovery discs for HP and Compaq desktop computers. Use the option that works best for you.
NOTE: You may not need to have recovery discs to perform a System Recovery. The recovery information is contained on a partition on the hard drive. Recovery discs are necessary in case the recovery partition is not functioning properly. If your computer originally came with Windows 7 or Vista, turn on the computer and repeatedly press F11 to access the recovery information on the hard drive. If your computer originally came with Windows XP or earlier, press F10 to enter recovery. For more information about System Recovery, see one of the following HP Support documents: Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows 7 Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP It is strongly recommended that you create a recovery disc set soon after acquiring your computer. If recovery discs are not created and the recovery partition is damaged or erased, you will need to find a set of recovery discs that matches your model number from the Internet or install a new operating system.
Edited by infected mqan, 09 June 2011 - 03:24 PM.
Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:25 PM
Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:36 PM
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users