Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Highly Infected

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 infected mqan

infected mqan

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Well, after strenuous efforts to save my infected pc- it was concluded that the best option would be to resort to a reformat.

Everything we have done so far can be found: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic401905.html

So, that being said, I have no idea how to reformat a pc. I have no prior windows CDs; but if absolutely necessary, I can go out and buy blank cds.
I am now resorting to my laptop, so I can still stay in touch while I start the process of reformatting. I just unplugged the Ethernet cable from the infected pc, so it is no longer connected.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Boot to your Windows cd and the installation routine will begin. Early on you'll be given the option to format before installing - choose that option. Then install the OS. After you get to the desktop you'll need to install all drivers, starting with the chipset driver. Then install a good anti virus app, then go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware / driver updates, which should only be obtained from the oem websites).

#3 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I am having trouble following some of your instructions, if you could help explain further:

Boot to your Windows cd and the installation routine will begin

- I don't have the Windows CDs

Early on you'll be given the option to format before installing - choose that option. Then install the OS. After you get to the desktop you'll need to install all drivers, starting with the chipset drive

- I am trying to understand this step. Once the system has been reformatted, how do I re-install my drivers? (starting with chipset drive)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

Unless your system has a recovery partition, you'll need a Windows disk to install Windows. And drivers can be obtained from the websites of the various hardware manufacturers (ie, video card, sound card, ethernet card, etc). The chipset driver can be obtained from the website of either your computer or motherboard manufacturer. Do you know if your system has a recovery partition? Did you receive ANY cd's with your system? What is the make and model of your computer.

BTW - I'm about to go off line for a couple of hours but I'm sure someone else will jump in. If not, I'll check back when I return.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

I scanned your thread with boopme & I did not see the make/model of the system mentioned.
Maybe I missed it.

Could you please post that info?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

I apologize, but I am really having a tough time following instructions.

Do you know if your system has a recovery partition?

- I don't know if the system has a recovery partition, but if someone can walk me thru how to determine that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Did you receive ANY cd's with your system?

- No, I am trying to help my best friend fix this pc. He brought it over a few days ago, and I am pretty sure the computer is quite old; and doesn't have a clue where his CDs are.

And drivers can be obtained from the websites of the various hardware manufacturers (ie, video card, sound card, ethernet card, etc). The chipset driver can be obtained from the website of either your computer or motherboard manufacturer

- That being said, I assume I need to determine the video card, sound card, ethernet card, etc; I don't know how, if someone could walk me thru how I determine where I can find what I need to know- would greatly appreciate it.

What is the make and model of your computer.

- I am using: Compaq Presario 6000; Windows XP Home sp2

BTW - I'm about to go off line for a couple of hours but I'm sure someone else will jump in. If not, I'll check back when I return.

- I understand, no worries and no rush.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Compaq lists a Presario 6000EA and a Presario 6000KS
Could you double check the model # pls

Also check the Windows sticker on the side of the system to see what version of Windows the system shipped with.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Compaq lists a Presario 6000EA and a Presario 6000KS
Could you double check the model # pls

Also check the Windows sticker on the side of the system to see what version of Windows the system shipped with.

I really feel stupid for not knowing how to determine the exact model of the presario. I see two stickers on the top of the pc. It says: Compaq Presario 6450NX
I see a Windows XP Home Edition sticker as-well.

Thanks,
Mitch

edit: was that the correct information you were asking for?

Edited by infected mqan, 09 June 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

According to the support page for your system you need the cd's that shipped with the system to perform a recovery (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00007689&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=240121). You can call HP and try to obtain those CD's or you can purchase a Windows disk retail. Absent those two options I'm not sure what to tell you.

#10 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Thank you, I admire your generosity sir. Yall can go ahead and close this; My next mission is to obtain the CD.

Thanks everyone who took any time helping me!,
Mitch

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Sorry we couldn't give you better news. Good luck :)

#12 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Before this thread is closed, I was reading the link you supplied; and at the bottom is a link "-- HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Looking for Recovery Discs?";
so I was reading that and came across the following text:

This document provides different options for obtaining or creating recovery discs for HP and Compaq desktop computers. Use the option that works best for you.
NOTE: You may not need to have recovery discs to perform a System Recovery. The recovery information is contained on a partition on the hard drive. Recovery discs are necessary in case the recovery partition is not functioning properly. If your computer originally came with Windows 7 or Vista, turn on the computer and repeatedly press F11 to access the recovery information on the hard drive. If your computer originally came with Windows XP or earlier, press F10 to enter recovery. For more information about System Recovery, see one of the following HP Support documents: Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows 7 Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP It is strongly recommended that you create a recovery disc set soon after acquiring your computer. If recovery discs are not created and the recovery partition is damaged or erased, you will need to find a set of recovery discs that matches your model number from the Internet or install a new operating system.

(source: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00007689/en_us/bph07143/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=240121 )

Is this valid?

Edited by infected mqan, 09 June 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

I don't know. Follow the instructions - reboot and press F10. What happens?

#14 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Haha, alright. I'll experiment. Thanks

#15 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

Apparently the pc has a built-in System Recovery. It is now taking place... I only hope that those files aren't still infected. But if this is a reformat then I suppose everything will be fresh? Could anyone clarify that for me.

Thanks,
Mitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users