Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wire a SATA connector to Molex for power?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm confused;

I did some googling about this with conflicting information, so thought I would ask you guys. PSU went south on a pc I need to use right now. The pc has a 24 pin mobo connector & (2) SATA drives. All I have avail. right now are a few older 20 pin PSU's with only Molex power connectors.

From what I understand, I can use a 20 pin power supply to run the mobo, no prob. My issue is with the Molex to SATA power connectors. Can I wire "like color to like color" splicing the SATA connectors from my fried PSU onto the replacement PSU?

I see discussion on the 'net about the missing wire from a Molex tap which need to provide 3 volts for the SATA, but then others say that is not an issue...

What say you guys? Will this work?

Thanks!

Edited by cpumelter, 09 June 2011 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RVE

RVE

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

technically sata and molex are not the same..although for 99% of drive requirements they are. You can buy adapters pretty cheap or splice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812170003&cm_re=molex_to_sata-_-12-170-003-_-Product

make sure ur mobo will run on 20 pin thoguh...I've never heard of a 24 pin mobo running on 20. I have heard of mobos with the special cpu connector running without that hooked up.

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

On the SATA - I did some more searching. looks like I need to look at my HD(s) to be sure they will run on the 5 volts that the Molex connectors provide.

On the 20/24 pin - IIRC, I believe I read that the extra 4 pins were for use with a high powered video card, if needed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this...

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

A 20-pin power supply cannot be used on a 24 pin motherboard. You will need either a 24 pin or a 20+4 pin power supply.

#5 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

A 20-pin power supply cannot be used on a 24 pin motherboard. You will need either a 24 pin or a 20+4 pin power supply.

I had to do some searching through my bookmarks - I have several pages marked that says it will work...I hate all this conflicting information, lol...

http://store.compute-aid.com/spec/atxps24.html

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I've never heard of anyone trying that. To be honest, it MAY work. But I won't be testing it anytime soon (because I'm afraid of frying something!)

#7 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

I've never heard of anyone trying that. To be honest, it MAY work. But I won't be testing it anytime soon (because I'm afraid of frying something!)

lol - I know, I am very hesitant to try it too. My local pc shop will have a 24 pin unit on Monday, I may have to wait until then to get it going again.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

FWIW: I've used 20-pin PSUs with 24-pin motherboards :), a few years ago.

I think it depends on the motherboard.

Google Links

Louis

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

FWIW: I've used 20-pin PSUs with 24-pin motherboards :), a few years ago.

You, sir, are a braver man than I.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:41 AM

I have also recently used a 20pin PSUs with 24pin motherboards :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

LOL...not braver, AA...just didn't want to spend for a new PSU unless absolutely necessary :). That was back in the days of transition to the 24-pin boards, quite a few years in computer-time.

Louis

#12 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

On the SATA - I did some more searching. looks like I need to look at my HD(s) to be sure they will run on the 5 volts that the Molex connectors provide.

On the 20/24 pin - IIRC, I believe I read that the extra 4 pins were for use with a high powered video card, if needed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this...

I just set up a PC and had to use a molex to sata power cable for one of the drives, and I frequently use the same cable with a USB kit I have to read hard drives. There has not been a drive yet that didn't spin up unless it was broken! I wouldn't have expected the 20-pin PS to 24-pin MOBO would work, but based on what everyone says best of luck!!

Also I looked into those 4 pins, and the ATX Wikipeida article says they're for the CPU if needed:

Originally the motherboard was powered by one 20-pin connector. An ATX power supply provides a number of peripheral power connectors, and (in modern systems) two connectors for the motherboard: a 4-pin auxiliary connector providing additional power to the CPU, and a main 24-pin power supply connector, an extension of the original 20-pin version.

I think there is another 4-pin connector that comes off the power supply for PCI-E video cards that need extra power, but I haven't come across anything like this yet.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#13 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

I just set up a PC and had to use a molex to sata power cable for one of the drives, and I frequently use the same cable with a USB kit I have to read hard drives

Hmmm...I wonder about the 3 Volt issue then. Is this only a problem for a very small handful of drives? Because, on the "con" replies that I read on the web, the fifth wire (3 volts) seems to be the point that everyone is conflicted on.

#14 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hmmm...I wonder about the 3 Volt issue then. Is this only a problem for a very small handful of drives? Because, on the "con" replies that I read on the web, the fifth wire (3 volts) seems to be the point that everyone is conflicted on.

I did some additional searching, and I found some good information on PlayTool.com regarding the pin-outs and voltages of the cables.

Molex Power Pinout
Pin number / Wire color / Description
1 / yellow / +12 volts
2 / black / ground
3 / black / ground
4 / red / +5 volts

SATA Power Pinout
Pin number / Wire number / Wire color / Description
1 / 5 / orange / +3.3 volts
2 / 5 / orange / +3.3 volts
3 / 5 / orange / +3.3 volts
4 / 4 / black / ground
5 / 4 / black / ground
6 / 4 / black / ground
7 / 3 / red / +5 volts
8 / 3 / red / +5 volts
9 / 3 / red / +5 volts
10 / 2 / black / ground
11 / 2 / black / ground
12 / 2 / black / ground
13 / 1 / yellow / +12 volts
14 / 1 / yellow / +12 volts
15 / 1 / yellow / +12 volts

There still isn't much on how to tell if a hard drive has a 3.3v included though, I have never researched it until now but it's always good to learn something new! Wikipedia mentions a molex to sata connector that has the 3.3v wire as well in their Serial ATA article, but I don't see anything related to this on-line for purchase. The general consensus from what I've read is that drive manufacturer's have not embraced the standard yet, but the rail and voltage should be listed directly on the hard drive or in the manufacturer specifications. I have an old PATA drive in front of me that says +5v 0.72A and +12v 0.52A on the front, I'll check a SATA drive next time I see one, this is a good bit of info to watch out for!!

Also found some good info regarding the 20/24 pin motherboard connector from PlayTool:

The extra 4 pins are not separate rails. They're just extra lines to provide more current to the same rails. ... When you plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin connector you're not providing the extra current carrying capacity which may be needed by the motherboard. ... PCI Express cards can draw up to 75 watts through the motherboard connector so adding an expansion card can substantially increase power draw through the main power cable.

It sounds like the main concern is the connector will overheat without the extra wires, but I couldn't find an easy way to tell if it works with a specific motherboard. The PCI-E note is very interesting as well, I didn't know it drew that much power through the motherboard connector.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users