Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Temp Ok?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kamador451

kamador451

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

I think my computer might be operating daily at a temperature that is not good for it. Where I live it's only hot one month per year and this is that month. I don't have an air conditioner and live with fans. I use my computer everyday and mainly don't shut it down. So it might be overheating or at least operating at a temperature which might do some dmage. I ahven't overheat it to the point where it needs to forcefully shut down?

how can i check my computer's temperature and what at the limiting temperature to ensure that my computer is working properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

You can check the temperature with a tool like Core Temp. It will also tell you the model of you CPU which you can use to find the "safe zone" of temperatures for your particular processor.

#3 RVE

RVE

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

I'd recommend core temp as well. Whats the make and model of your system? Most Cpu's will run fine up to 60C, but it depend on what you have. i run my comp with an i7 and dual gtx470 in a non air conditioned room with no trouble. you should be fine unless you have an ancient p4 or clogged fans.

#4 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

I have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 prossecor and a radeon HD 5770 graphics card.

So about the readings in core temp just to make sure. at the bottom where it says CPU #0 that is where it states the current temperature of youur cpu whith the "low" and "high" being the range at which the actual temperature flunctuates and "Tj. Max" is the "safe zone". This is correct right?

Edited by kamador451, 11 June 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Tj. Max is the maximum temperature the manufacturer has rated the processor for, and that the processor should never pass this temperature. If it does, the computer may automatically shut down to prevent damage to the CPU.

In general, the "safe zone" ends about 15-20C below this temperature. So, if your Tj. Max rating is 100C, then anything below 80C can be considered the safe zone for moderate to heavy workloads. If your Tj. Max rating is 100C and your computer is running at 90C all the time then you need more cooling.

#6 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:48 AM

New question. It's the same as the old one but this is in regard with my graphics card. Is there a monitoring program you guys recommend but for graphics card and what is it's "safe zone"

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

GPU-Z is a nice utility for info about your video card. Temperatures are listed on the "Sensors" tab. I believe that model's maximum safe temperature is between 80-85C under load. At idle you should be seeing temperatures in the 40's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users