Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXp->Win7 Upgrade Blue Screen Madness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:23 PM

Here's the short and fast, I got a virus through a script on a website, removed it, WinXP was getting frequent BSOD's after a month or so, tried to install Win7 upgrade, PC is BSOD central and can't get past boot screen.

System Specs:

WAS running Windows Home XP SP3 32-bit.
EVGA Nforce 4(133-K7-NF41)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2gb corsair xms DDR400 RAM
PNY Geforce 260 GTS 1gb
Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
Western Digital 160gb SATA 7200 RPM

More specifically this is what's going on:

My windows XP machine was infected with a virus identical to the one described in this post, XP Security 2011:

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/988323-xp-security-2011-virus-google.html

I tried to follow their recommendations for removal as I couldn't get any responses on their forums, so I did the following as per their recommendations to him:
1.)ran exehelper
2.)ran combofix as directed
3.)ran malwarebytes anti-malware as per instructions

From there it got very specific to his machine so I couldn't follow along. But by this time the virus was gone along with all its' symptoms, so I figured it was a moot point. I noticed shortly thereafter, however, that Automatic Updates had been disabled and I was unable to turn it back on by clicking the security alert balloon on the taskbar or through control panel (control panel said it was enabled, but it never downloaded updates and tray icon always said it was disabled). I checked services.msc and registry and the associated entries and services for Automatic Updates weren't there. After trying unsuccessfully to turn updates back on and experiencing a few bluescreens while gaming, I decided to just upgrade my OS to Windows 7 and save the headache of sifting through the problems in XP. XP came with my machine and I didn't have a recovery disk, so that wasn't an option. System restore didn't fix anything.

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor, it checked out OK, looked through system requirements and confirmed my machine could run Windows 7 so I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and attempted install from within windows. Halfway through install, I get a blue screen error and system restarts before I could write the error code down. Thinking I should just boot from disk, format, and install that way to avoid the BSOD's, I did so and was able to get the Win7 boot from disk setup menu to format my HDD and began install. Once it reached the last stage of install it hit me with another BSOD and I had to turn off my PC (couldn't restart, was stuck at BSOD screen).

Thinking it might be an issue I could fix in BIOS, I tried turning off L1 and L2 cache and then installing... Same result, just slower install. I've tried installing from a formatted drive. I've tried installing from a drive that has the install of Win7 that was interrupted by a BSOD. I run the memory test from win7 advanced setup options and chkdsk and neither have indicated faulty memory or partition errors. I've tried removing RAM from DIMMS and reinserting them while PC was off. I've tried removing CMOS battery to reset BIOS settings jut in case. I've tried disabling BIOS caching just in case. No matter what, I'm stuck in BSOD city trying to get my PC up and running again. The BSOD's I've been able to catch are numerous and diverse, and I've encountered just about every one of the most commonly reported BSOD error messages.

Partly out of desperation, partly out of curiosity, I "acquired" a copy of XP SP3 and burnt it to a CD just to see if there was some sort of damage to my hardware that was preventing any OS from functioning and if my PC was nothing more than a shiny brick. I booted from disc, formatted my partition, and installed the OS without a hitch. Net was fully functional, video was fine without any artifacts, sound card worked and temperature was steady. I encountered one BSOD and restart when I visited Microsoft's Windows 7 site to download the Upgrade Advisor to see if the new OS install would change it's evaluation of whether I could run Windows 7, but after that I was able to use the OS for 2 or so hours without problems.

I didn't feel like using the copy of XP I had, as I had already paid $129 for Win7, so I figured maybe now that I had a OS functioning semi stable I would be able to use the upgrade CD normally and finally have my old PC back. WRONG! Halfway through custom install of Windows 7 I get a blue screen, and now I can't get past Boot-to-disc setup without BSOD's. It may be worth mentioning that briefly while pc was booting up, when the listing of devices came up I noticed 2 devices were assigned to IRQ 5 and possibly other devices were assigned to the same IRQ, but I couldn't figure out how to reassign in my BIOS.

Yes, I know I ran powerful tools without expert help and yes, I know I'm not supposed to reference illicit software on these forums. But I'm not here to try to pirate anything. I had a legit copy of XP and bought a legit copy of 7 to fix my problems, so I figure in the grand scheme of things I haven't stolen anything. It should be worth noting that I formatted the drive via Windows 7 setup after the first Windows 7 install within the OS failed.

I'm sorry if this message is too long or not following proper protocol but I'm desperate. My machine might be older, but it still ran current games on medium settings fine and it ran great and I've got quite a bit of attachment to it. Furthermore, I can't afford to buy a new PC right now nor do I want to purchase a new one. I just want to get this one working again and I'd really appreciate any assistance.

Edited by Wrathcaster, 08 June 2011 - 11:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:23 AM

Hi,
Do you have another machine that you could slave your drive to ?? if so download and install Ccleaner and use their inbuilt drivewiper tool to wipe the problematic drive 3 passes will erase all data on it,put the drive back in the machine you are working on and in re-install Xp turn off the auto update then install the 7 upgrade.

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

Hi,
Do you have another machine that you could slave your drive to ?? if so download and install Ccleaner and use their inbuilt drivewiper tool to wipe the problematic drive 3 passes will erase all data on it,put the drive back in the machine you are working on and in re-install Xp turn off the auto update then install the 7 upgrade.

Iain.

Only have a laptop as a secondary machine. I do have an external HDD but I'd have to connect it to the nonfunctioning PC in order to slave the internal drive... And I don't even know if I could use the external as a master, never done that before. Regardless, even if I could, I wouldn't be able to do that and run Ccleaner on the internal HDD without installing an OS on that machine and I don't know if I could run Windows off an external master while on an SCSI setup...

If there's a way I could though, I'd be glad to hear it- let me know.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Not possible to do an in place upgrade from XP to Windows 7. That is my understanding.
It is possible to do one to Vista and then to Windows 7.
I think you bought the wrong CD.

EDIT: Okay, I just checked some info and seems you can use an upgrade CD.
It will not install your programs, though. It will install over your XP. Just like a new install.

From help file:
When you’re asked Which type of installation do you
want?, choose one of the following:

Click Upgrade if you are running Windows Vista to
keep your files, programs, and settings and install
Windows 7.

Click Custom if you are running Windows XP or
want to completely replace your current version of
Windows with Windows 7. You will need to manually
reinstall your programs and restore your backed up
files after installation. Visit windows.microsoft.com
/upgrade-windows-xp for details.

Edited by buddy215, 09 June 2011 - 07:56 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Not possible to do an in place upgrade from XP to Windows 7. That is my understanding.
It is possible to do one to Vista and then to Windows 7.
I think you bought the wrong CD.

EDIT: Okay, I just checked some info and seems you can use an upgrade CD.
It will not install your programs, though. It will install over your XP. Just like a new install.

From help file:
When you’re asked Which type of installation do you
want?, choose one of the following:

Click Upgrade if you are running Windows Vista to
keep your files, programs, and settings and install
Windows 7.

Click Custom if you are running Windows XP or
want to completely replace your current version of
Windows with Windows 7. You will need to manually
reinstall your programs and restore your backed up
files after installation. Visit windows.microsoft.com
/upgrade-windows-xp for details.

Yeah I confirmed that I could use the upgrade CD to make the switch to 7 and double checked to make sure my hardware wouldn't conflict. I didn't have a problem with losing my data or programs- I had all my important data backed up and had access to the programs I would like to re install. The problem is that the Win7 upgrade discs make the install, but BSOD me to death before I can ever even enter the OS beyond setup. I'm wondering if the drivers Win7 installs by default for my hardware are causing a problem or if my mobo might have become damaged during this whole process, but I don't really know of any way to check that. Regardless, if it is the mobo there's no way I'm going to go and buy a replacement at this point for a 6 year old motherboard. If that's the case, I might as well just build a new PC.

Any ideas?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Clarification: There is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7...where the programs for XP remain on the system to be used by the Win 7 install. Anyone can use the Win 7 upgrade disk to install on a system that reflectx XP...but the upgrade version may check to see if a qualifying install of XP exists.

Some persons have reported being able to do a clean install of Win 7 with the ugprade disk...without having an XP install capable of being detected. I would not expect this to work on every system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users