Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio 1440/14z refuses to boot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wu125

wu125

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have a Dell Studio 1440/14z that now refuses to boot. A friend asked me to fix it and after having trouble myself I decided to turn here.That said, I'm not sure of this is a hardware or a software issue, so I'll start here and redirect it if needed.

Context: Said friend lost the AC adapter to the computer a while ago, and for some time (did not specify how long) was using an adapter that was not only incompatible with the laptop, but was from another country altogether. This killed the battery of course, but after replacing the battery and obtaining a compatible AC adapter, the laptop now suffers from random shutdowns. Now this computer refuses to boot to the OS, and I suspect that something is wrong with the electrical hardware in the computer.

Symptoms: Laptop either powers off completely after the POST (Dell logo and loading bar) or during the "Windows is starting up" loading screen on the OS. Before, (say 3:00 PM today) I was able to get to the login screen (Windows Vista), but the system completely cut out after about an hour of activity. Now it refuses to go past the POST. However, i can access the Advanced Options and change the boot order. It's when I start up the OS that when the problem rears its head.

Important note: Power supply light next to AC adapter plug does not light up when AC power cord is connected.

My thoughts: The power supply might be fragged. Exactly how, I'm not sure, but apparently starting up the OS is tripping something up. Leaving the laptop alone for a few hours is enough to get me past to the OS screen, but it's been sporadic.

The question is, is there something I can still do, or have I no recourse but to recommend someone more qualified?

Edited by wu125, 08 June 2011 - 08:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users