Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware problem or virus?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaskafan

jaskafan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hi, I have an acer aspire M5800 Windows 7 home edition 64bit that is currently inoperable or barely least ways it started with me playing League of Legends, I recieved a noticed stating that the drivers had to be updated after the game closed automatically.., I updated the computer it was running fine went to play the game and when i started to play it "crashed" the game didnt close but the colors are streaky and mostly primary colors..red green black some blue Ive noticed the resolution displays at 600X800 and the device manager has a question mark on my video card with an exclamation mark on the pci driver ..when i try to update this one it tells me that it can not find any drivers for it...the computer runs extremely slow if i can even get the OS to load any thought on what this could be? Anything is appreciated thanks much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

What kind of computer is a M5800? What are the specs. What drivers are we talking about? Where and how have you looked for drivers? You received a notice from what? You received a notice form Windows 7, your video card, the game you were playing. This is the kind of information we need in order to help you.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Here are the specs LbBear http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspire-m5800-u5801a/4507-3118_7-33707225.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

How did you update the drivers?

#5 jaskafan

jaskafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Through windows it "turned off" and it said please wait update 1 of 3 2of3 and 3 of 3 then restarted thats the only thing that happened i was pretty sure it was an authentic windows update

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

I know you mean well but that information you gave us does very little. If it was my computer I would run two programs after updating them. Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Super Anti Spyware. Run them both in full scan. The bad people make things look like the real thing just to fool us. Get back to us so others can learn.

#7 jaskafan

jaskafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

well as of now it will not start im having someone stop by tomorrow and take a look at it thanks for the help and i will update with any information i get

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

For future reference, NEVER update drivers through Windows Update. Always obtain drivers from the oem website(s).

#9 jaskafan

jaskafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

Well they figured it was a busted video card over heating or something and a virus >.< the good news is that i will take your advice and only update from oem website and not through windows =P thank you i appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users