Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Sluggish computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Yepytzme

Yepytzme

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hello Folks,
Thank you for reading this problem. For the past week only, for some reason my computer has become a slug. When I boot up, it takes over 3 minutes to boot. When I click on a site it take upwards of three minutes or more to access that site. I've defragged my hard drive, removed unwanted programs, cleaned up all but the necessary start menus but still takes forever to access a site (even when I click on 'back' to go back to a previous site or my home page takes upwards of two minutes or longer to access).
Any ideas as to how I can speed this thing up? I am on high speed(???) cable ISP.

Please help.

Thanks,

Yepytzme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

IMO, these slowdowns are often the result of damaged system files...I had one with my browser a few days ago, running the sfc /scannow command and then running chkdsk /r took care of mine.

I would try that first.

FWIW: A boot time of 3 minutes seems quite normal, depending on what is loading at startup. I would take a look at broser add-ons and startup items, eliminating any that are nonessential (I don't think any add-ons are essential, other than those related to Sun, Microsoft, Adobe Flash/Shockwave).

Louis

#3 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hi Louis,
Yep, I did try that, went into safe mode, no problems there..still slow. Yesterday I followed the 'tutorials' on this site, did all the defrags., my start-up was and is only about 5 essentials, nothing more. I did have approx. 38 desktop icons compressed into a program which I deleted yesterday and moved my icons into another folder on my hard drive. I ran MBAM, there were no problems. I ran the Secunia PSI, updated 5 outdated programs. Nothing seems to have improved. As far as your saying 3 minutes boot seems normal, I have to disagree. My boot never took more than a couple of minutes. Now, when it boots, it stays on the welcome screen for about 45 seconds, then my screen opens up but no taskbar, no icons, no nothing...stays that way for about 90 seconds before the taskbar comes up. Also, when I click on/or try to access anything on my firefox, it will take a good 45 second to a minute before that page loads. Again, totally unacceptable. Don't know where else to go from here.

Larry

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#5 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi Allan, thanks for taking the time to help. Before I do that I have a concern. I did have about 15 items originally checked on the start up when everything was running fine. Like I said earlier, this slowdown started about a week or more ago, there were no other items added to the start up. I did uncheck most of them yesterday, rebooted and still the same result. You suggested unchecking all three items, but there are actually 7 items there, which three? The concern is I was told by one of the moderators, on a previous problem I had, to remove all but 5 items and he specified which 5 I should keep. Since the 5 items I did keep made absolutely no difference to the speed whatsoever I am afraid if I do uncheck all of them will my system even be able to boot? Also, if it ran fine with all 15 items previously checked I don't believe it's the start up that's causing the slowdown and it's not just the boot up that's slow, it is also when I try to open a site from my browser it sometime takes upwards of two minutes to open any site, even when I'm on the site, when I click the 'back' button to get back to the home page, it again takes a long time to go back. (I'm attaching a snap of my start up)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

Read my post again. I directed you to the GENERAL tab.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Who is your internet provider?

What security software do you use? (firewall and antivirus)

#8 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

In response to Allan....You stated "Uncheck all three items", that's all well and good except for the fact that I have 5 items, which "3" are you referring to? (see screenshot)

In response to Queen-Evie...My ISP is Rogers (High Speed Cable), and I have the Windows firewall, Windows Virus protection and Microsoft Security Essentials.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

Sorry - didn't realize which OS we are talking about. Under selective startup uncheck the 4 boxes but leave the boot.ini alone.

#10 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hi Allan,
Woah there! What's this all about? I did the selective start up as you suggested, rebooted. It rebooted in just 35 seconds..great..BUT..could not access browser, e-mail, nothing. Instead the first thing that came up was a message stating "..since windows has drastically changed, I needed to reactivate windows within the next three days.." or something to that effect. I then got a message from my Microsoft Security essentials (see screenshot attachment). I did not do anything except go back and redo my selective start up back to normal in order to be able to access anything. I once got a message a long time ago saying I needed to do something which unfortunately turned out to be a virus attack so I was reluctant to do anything now from messages that pop up on my screen.
Should I reactivate my windows because that screenshot message keeps popping up every few minutes.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

There's no harm in reactivating - I'm not sure why you're getting that message - nothing we did would cause that. It's certainly a possibility your system is infected.

#12 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

That's funny you should say that "...nothing we did would cause that" because that happened immediately after I changed to your selective start up and reboot. What exactly was the effect I was to expect by changing the selective start up your way, other that a faster reboot and not being able to access anything?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

You disabled everything from loading with the system. It's called a clean boot. The reason we do this is to see if something that is starting at boot is causing your problem. If the problem disappears with a clean boot, we start adding items back one at a time until the problem reappears. Using this (admittedly time consuming) method we can pinpoint the offending process(es). A clean boot does not generate an activation notice - something else is at play.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Just to let you know I asked about your ISP for a reason. There is one ISP which has optional branded buggy software for its customers. Since you do not have that ISP I can't ask if you have any of it installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users