Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop recieves power-won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kingjd7

kingjd7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

(I am new to posting here at bleepingcomputer, let me know if this topic would be better posted elsewhere)

I have an MSI ms163a (gx600) laptop that I'm fixing for a friend, and I can't seem to put my finger on what the issue is. It won't power on at all, but it is most definitely receiving power, because the power light comes on, and will stay on, but nothing else happens. I've taken apart a few laptops in my day, but not enough to be able to distinctly visually identify something wrong from the inside. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a laptop and what they might have done to fix it.

My initial thoughts are: bad processor, or, bad motherboard. But, my working knowledge of laptop repair is still pretty elementary; I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to hardware failures in laptop computers.

They can power supply related.

Laptop screen related.

RAM related.

Processor related.

Component related failures on diodes, capacitors, electrolytic capacitors, Integrated Circuit chips (IC chips) or transistor failure.

Laptops are put together and their separate circuit boards are joined together by the use of flat ribbon wires that go from one ZIF type lock connector to another.

Many years ago before surface mount technology was used, every wire was soldered to the circuit boards at both ends.

Today those wires are simply locked into a connector that forces it to make a connection to its mating surface.

Unlike with those secure soldered connections, these connections allow air and moisture to get in between the two metal mating surfaces and eventually the connection suffers from corrosion and oxidation.
This causes electrical connection problems in circuits and the circuit in question eventually fails to function.

This requires going into the device and disturbing that oxidation by disconnected and re-connecting the wires.

This is a really big problem with todays electronics, but better get used to it, they won't be eliminating that way of doing things anytime soon, because it saves time and money doing it this way.

Most electronics today are considered to be DISPOSABLE devices, when they stop working, you simply recycle them with a new one.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kingjd7

kingjd7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Whatever the problem may have been it would've been too much to diagnose without charging something, so he decided to just take it back and see what he could do on his own.

I appreciate the information, though! :)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

You're welcome! :thumbup2:

If you happen to find out what the problem was, please post back and let us know. :wink:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users