Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Updates And Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shelle

shelle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:03 PM

I have two questions:

The first is concerning firewalls. I naively thought the firewall on XP was sufficient, however reading threads on this forum I can see that it is not recommended. Which firewall do you think I should use that will not clash with my other security progs (adaware, spywareblaster and spy bot as recommended on here!! :thumbsup: ). I had though perhaps the sygate one, but numerous are mentioned.

The second question is Java updates. I was under the impression that java is as bad as active x, which you should not allow to download etc. My computer continually asks me to update my java, but I am wondering whether I should be or not?

Please help!!

Thanks for a great forum by the way, I am learning lots already :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:41 PM

All of the free firewalls mentioned here, should provide you with adequate protestion.
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
None of them will conflict with your other security programs.
The 2 most recommended are Sygate, and Zone Alarm.
Try them both (running only 1, at a time), and see which you prefer.
It's really more of a personal choice about, which one you're more comfortable working with.

You should keep your Java updated to the newest version.
Java is not a bad thing, but it can be used for bad things.
If it's not kept updated, it could become vulnerable to malicious code, which could compromise your machine.
The same holds true for ActiveX controls, there's both good, and bad.
An example of a good ActiveX control, is the one that some online virus scanners have to download in order to scan your computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users