Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comuter has over heat sytems but is with normal limits

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RVE

RVE

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help because I'm about to through this mobo out the window lol.

I have an asus mobo with an I7-950, dual gtx470's and 12gb of corsair 1600mhz ddr3 ram. Also have a 6 disk raid for media and a single os drive.

I did have my os drive on a raid card and that was causing random lock ups on start and during use. Ripped it out. System worked pretty good for a few weeks. I've stressed it pretty hard and even ran 8 instances of toast and furmark at the same time for a few hours. The cpu never goes above 55c and gpu never above 95c. Yea the temps are a little warm, but it idles at 45c for cpu and about 55c for gpu. I have a v8 cpu cooler and turning the fan up or down makes no difference. I already reseated it but the cpu cooler does not feel hot to the touch.

I can game all day and probably not have any problems. It mostly crashes on idle. Before crash i'v seen artifacts, as if my gpu was hot, but it was only 55c when this happened. Yesterday i go to start it up and it loads fine. I let i idle before i started working and all the icons go green and the desktop goes black and it freezes. Dint touch a thing other then to log in. I hit the restart button and it does the same thing...3 or 4 min of idle and it freezes and goes green. I restart again and immediately start Avid media Composer. It freezes during the flash screens tarting Avid. I shut down let it chill and then turned it back on. it froze right after I typed in my password on the welcome screen. Keep in mind room temp was like 90f, but still the computer does not seem to be overheating. The gpu fans are not maxing out, the v8 cpu cooler doesn't feel hot. Could something else on the mobo be getting toasty? its in an antec 1200 case with all fans maxed. yes i know 7 hard drives are heating the incoming air, but he air flow is pretty high. Any suggestions would be great. I'm considering going liquid but dont want to drop a grand on cooling if something else is the problem.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The first thing that comes to my mind as being a possible reason this is happening is that your power supply may not be supplying enough power output to satisfy your computers demand.

You supplied specs in your post for everything with the exception of your power supply.

Can you please check the output ratings label on the PSU and post those as well as the make and model number.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 RVE

RVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Silent Pro Gold 1000Watt..could the psu be overheating...the case near the psu it hotter then my cpu heatsync. I'd prefer a 1200 watt or so but i wanted 80+ gold rating and the 100w was the biggest i could find in 80+ gold.

Update:

Trying to get some video editing done, its starting fine every time now, but there is a new single beep in post. Its crashed 3 times in the last 2 hours. Twice it just froze solid. The third time everything went green and black which leeds me to believe its gfx related. I took the case side off to see if that helps...ambient now is 92F with a huge ass fan blowing. I'm gonna watch some netflix in it and if its still running when i'm done try to video edit again.

Thanks for you help

#4 RVE

RVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Update, Just froze solid 10 sec after i hit play on netflix although audio is continuing indicating the comp is still running. I'm thinking this is purly gfx failure if the comp is continuing to run just no visual. (although spacebar does not work to stop and start audio)

I'm removed my primary gfx and moved my secondary up...I'm gonna see if it does better with single gpu...the lower one always blocks the upper one form cooling right so the upper runs about 20c hotter. If both work single with no problems it might be time to go with liquid. I just wanna be sure

#5 RVE

RVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Update: with single gpu I am stuck at welcome screen will try the other one single

#6 RVE

RVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

UPdate: seems to be running fine on the single gpu (secondary removed) I'm gonna be kicking myself if all this was just a bad gpu...its under warranty. I'm gonna put the case back on and see if it stays running

#7 RVE

RVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

it seems fixed...thanks mr Bruce for you psu suggestion, but it seem to be a bad gfx all along.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Not a problem, since I did not know the specs on your PSU until now, I had no way of offering a possible solution.

Now that I know your PSU is above the required supply specs, you pretty much have already resolved the issue on your own.

I appreciate your coming back and letting us know you resolved the problem and what you did to resolve it.

Happy computing! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users