Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my motherboard, with a fresh Vista installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klimowicz

klimowicz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm upgrading my dying mobo (Biostar m7ncd) with a better one (Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro2) so that I can use the same components I have in this one, utilizing all of my Athlon XP 3000 and with 3GB memory (adding 1GB to what I have here already). I know this has all advance massively, but I've had this current setup for years and have been able to run some pretty graphically demanding applications, like Football Manager 2011 and The Sims 3. Upgrading what I have, considering I have all the new components I need already, is cheaper than buying a new, modern setup.

I don't have a driver CD, I've downloaded them from the Gigabyte website. I assume putting these drivers into folders and on a CD will behave the same way as a genuine driver CD (when searching locations for drivers)? What order will I have to do things in to get up and running? Am I right in thinking:

1. Place the Vista disc into the drive of this current XP machine before shutting down
2. Insert motherboard, RAM, CPU etc, and the formatted 160GB HDD
3. The computer will detect that there are no OS installations and begin to install Vista from the CDROM
4. Install RAID, nForce2, SATA RAID etc after the Vista installation is finished

Or is that not possible, and I'll have to install the mobo drivers first? If so, how?

Also, is there a way I can tell which revision the motherboard is? I've downloaded all drivers for the Rev.1 & Rev.2 models of my mobo, but can't seem to find a difference online.

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2011 - 01:02 PM.
Moved from System Building to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

The computer wouldn't necessarily begin to install Vista on it's own, you might have to go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the DVD drive first.

Also, on my Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard, it says my revision directly on the motherboard itself, up in one of the corners. It's kind of hard to see at first, but it's there.
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

#3 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Thanks sjvirchow, I already changed the boot device to cdrom, and I've been up and running so I found my revision (Rev 1.x) through CPU-Z.

I've come across a few problems though. The system test at boot would show "dual channel enabled" and 3GB memory, but will restart as soon as it gets to the Vista logo screen. So I'm only able to install 2GB in single/dual channel mode to get it to boot. After some pretty blind research, I've come to assume that the 32 bit version of Vista I bought off my cousin won't recognize 3GB RAM. I've purchased Windows 7 and planned to install the 64 bit version, but on further research (before I opened the packaging), it may be the Athlon XP 3000+ processor holding me back from being able to use 3GB and overclock. I'm puzzled by this, I know it's an ancient Mobo, but surely I'm doing something wrong if it won't run all 3GB memory and run an Athlon XP quicker than 2.1Ghz after I've changed the switch configuration on the mobo?

To summarise:
Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro2 Rev 1.x Motherboard
Windows Vista 32 bit with SP2 installed
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.1GHz
2GB PC3200 DDR400 running in dual channel mode

One of the other problems has already been solved, my cousin claimed the Vista disc he sold me was not activated, but it obviously is, which is why I bought 7.

The third problem is with my graphics card, a Sapphire Radeon HD 3650. After installing the on disc drivers, I updated to the latest hotfix on the Saphhire website, but now my card shows as a VisionTek Radeon HD 2600 XT and is incapable of displaying the 3D highlights in Football Manager 2011 smoothly. I've tried to rollback the driver, but it didn't revert back to the on disc driver (or I don't know if it did in the first place).

This is kinda why I would have liked to have kept this thread in system building, I knew I'd have problems with it haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users