Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive not availabe in Windows Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 meetdenis

meetdenis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

I have two HDD's installed on my PC.
The 1st one is 500GB and has three partitions, in one of which Windows 7 is installed.
The 2nd one is 160GB and has only one partition. I plan to use this one as a backup drive.

When I go to setup the Windows Backup wizard, in the list of partitions where I can choose to create the backup, it does not show me the 2nd drive partion. It only shows two partitions from the 1st drive.

How do I make the wizard display the 2nd drive as well?

Please help.

Edited by meetdenis, 08 June 2011 - 11:30 AM.

It doesn't matter what you think or what you know. What matters is what you do. Always.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meetdenis

meetdenis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hello,

It's been almost one week and still no answers! Can anybody help me fix this issue please?
I need this pretty urgently as I am currently without any kind of backup arrangement, and I do not want to install any third-party backup software if the in-house Windows program is provided.

Would appreciate any help greatly.

Edited by meetdenis, 13 June 2011 - 02:47 AM.

It doesn't matter what you think or what you know. What matters is what you do. Always.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Type the following into the Start Menu, and hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this Disk Management window, then take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool. Save it to your Desktop, then upload it to the internet (any file/image hosting site will do, I use http://imgur.com). Then post the link to it here in your topic.

Should look similar to this:
http://i.imgur.com/1hASx.png
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 meetdenis

meetdenis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:27 AM

^^ here you go http://imgur.com/Jq7CM

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

Just as I suspected...

Notice on the G: drive where it says "Healthy (System, Page File, Active, Primary Partition)"...System should not be there. Everything related to the OS installation should be ONLY on the C: drive. The reason this happened is because you had more than one drive plugged in when you installed Windows 7. By default, the bootloader (that's what System is, believe it or not) is installed on the first disk (Disk 0) in the system. The Boot files are still on the C: drive (where you told Windows 7 to install to), but if you took out the G: drive, Windows will not boot as there is no bootloader (which is on the G: drive) to point to the boot files (which are on C:).

Make sense?

That's why the G: drive is not available for Backup. Windows knows it is a "System" partition and keeps you from using it as a backup drive.

We can try to fix this by unplugging the G: drive and "repairing" the broken install (which might take some work), but the best policy is always to have ONLY one drive plugged in when installing ANY operating system.

#6 meetdenis

meetdenis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

Now I understand. Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

But how do I unplug G: and repair the installation? Won't Windows refuse to load if G: is unplugged?
BTW, I do have the Windows installation disk and also a System Image disk that I created.

I hope I will not have to re-install 7.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

We should be able to fix this without a reinstall.

Before we get started, please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy.

You should end up with a link similar to this: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NNtpp7Ido3EcH61ALaMRYxV

Edited by keyboardNinja, 18 June 2011 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users