Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer freezes just after start up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

Hi there,

I have been recieving help with this following a malware infection. The infection appears to have been removed but I'm still having issues with the machine and we seem to have run out of ideas so I'm wondering if this may not be related to the malware at all but something else which just happened at the same time. My topic in the malware section can be seen here

The problem is that after booting the machine, a Dell Optiplex 170 running a P4 board, 2.8 GHz, XP Pro SP3, 1.25 Gb RAM, just after widows starts and the desktop appears Windows Explorer seems to freeze. The taskbar is visible at the bottom of the screen but with blue boxes where the clock, start menu and quick launch buttons should be, or there will just be a blue line where the taskbar should be. Also some icons on the desktop are not drawn correctly, I am unable to open any files or folders and I have to use ctl/alt/del to start task manager so I can restart the machine. If I then boot into safe mode I can use System Restore, then restart and all is well again. Sometimes a restore operation will result in the message saying it was not possible to recareate the selected restore point and no changes have been made but the machine will still work properly again. Sometimes it will be possible to restart the machine several times before the explorer issue returns but often it happens again on the next restart and I have to use System restore again to get it working. It's really strange how using system restore seems to work whether or not settings are restored. I have no trouble booting into safe mode.

Anyone have any ideas about this one?

Many thanks

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

Damaged system files...PSU...overheating...and other unknown suspects.

I would try to eliminate overheating and damaged system files...by checking/cleaning the system and either running sfc /scannow or doing a repair install of XP.

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your reply. We ran SFC during the investigation detailed in the thread I linked above in the malware section. I have run it again earlier today but the problem persists. I am assuming all the system files are in order.

I'd be surprised if it was due to any overheating. The inside of the machine is quite clean and the problem often appears immediately after booting up from cold (machine having been off for several days). Also the air being expelled from the fan exhaust feels cooler than my other P4 machine which runs well.

I'll remove the side cover from the poorly machine to try eliminating any overheating posibilities.

Thanks

David

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

Since you have spare available...I would switch out the PSU and see if that makes a difference.

Louis

#5 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Switch out? You mean swap the PSU from my other machine to the poorly one? Ok, I can try that tomorrow. It's getting late here now.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

David

#6 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hi Louis, sorry I took so long to get back to you. Time has been short and I have only just got round to swapping the PSU.

Prior to doing this I have been hibernating the machine rather than switching off. This seems to help avoid the explorer issue happening.
Before swpping PSu, as a check I powered off the machine and re booted. The explorer issue appeared immediately so I powered off, swapped PSU, booted to safe mode, resored to recent restore point and rebooted. Everything was ok. I powered off and re booted but the same issue was immediately there again. I restored and re started again to be sure and got the same result.

Is there anything else we can try?

Thanks

David

#7 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

I'm still having the same issues with this machine. I'm going away for a few weeks but would welcome any more suggestions and will try them when I return home.

Many thanks

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users