Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network breaks when more than one device connects

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 x.rae

x.rae

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Please help me solve this problem.

About four days ago, our network began dropping connections when more than one device was added via either a wired or wireless connection.

CenturyLink DSL's tech support says my internet service looks fine from their end and modem lights seem to indicate incoming signal is fine.

Router: DLink DI-614+ - 128-bit WEP with Mac address filtering and upgrade to most recent firmware.

Hard-wired to:
Dell desktop WinXP with Windows firewall
Dish Network box
Blu-Ray DVD / Netflix streaming box

Wireless connections:
Dell laptop Win7
2 android phones

The connections break on both the wired or wireless devices once more than one device tries to connect. For example, I'll use the hard-wired desktop computer, but then when I power up the wireless laptop, both computers break connection and go through a seemingly endless connect/disconnect routine. If I use only one device at a time, the connection seems to be normal. For example, I can stream Netflix to the TV, or use the desktop PC, or the laptop via wireless connection, but not at the same time. Again, this is new all since Saturday.

When the desktop disconnects, I get the popup "A network cable is unplugged," and I can't reach the router via my browser. If I ping the router, the request times out. The router seems to have all the correct lights on, but they do flicker or blink. The router isn't where I see it while I work, so I have no idea if the lights are blinking in an unusual manner.

I have reset the modem, rebooted the router, and unplugged it from the power source then waiting a while and reconnecting before rebooting. None of that has helped. I have not done a factory reset.

Things that may or may not matter:
We've had a lot of thunderstorms in the past few weeks, but the router is plugged into a surge protector.
Router was new around 2004.

Have I left any pieces out of the puzzle? Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

Have you updated the Firmware?

#3 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Firmware is at its most recent, but that was 2005.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

Check it again: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di614+/Firmware/di614+_Firmware_234.bin 2006 is the date on that.

#5 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

Yes, that's the version I have. After you install it, it says:
Current Firmware Version: 2.34
Firmware Date: 9 Nov 2005

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Maybe its time to get a new router, and get one that will be supported.

#7 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Anyone else have helpful suggestions? I'd like to rule out something fixable before plopping down cash for new hardware. I realize that may be the end solution, but I'd like to try diagnosing the problem first.

#8 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

Have you checked to make sure that your IP address's for each element of your network are not the same - I have found that if there is a IP address conflict, the network will break to the other elements when one element connects.

Regards,
Kevin

Edited by Kevin384, 13 June 2011 - 06:01 AM.

#9 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hi Kevin,

The router ended up failing completely. It would not allow a wired connection, and it would not respond to a factory reset, so it had to be replaced. Thanks for the idea.

Edited by x.rae, 13 June 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#10 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi,
I belive that your post now means that all is well?

I hope that you purchased a good, reliable one this time!

I have recently purchased a TP-Link TD-W8960N ADSL2+ Wireless N modem, and I am very impressed with it
Best Regards and best of luck
Kevin

Edited by Kevin384, 13 June 2011 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users