Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who can I send an hdd to for a repair??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys:

Here's what happened. I plugged this drive into my computer and I plugged the 4-pin molex connection in backwards. I wouldn't have thought that it would go in that way, but apparently it was in enough to make the connections. It shorted out. I smelled the little gross odor of electric burn coming from it. When I connect it correctly, my system turns on for about a second and turns off. I have data on the drive I would love to save, but it's not anything critical. Is there anyone around that could possible replace a resistor or whatever it is that burned out?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

Hmmm, you need to consult hard drive Data Recovery experts, not just any computer technician.

Data recovery is generally pricey, depending on the complexity of the repairs carried out and the amount of data to be recovered.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 08 June 2011 - 01:55 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the response ReviverSoft.

I don't think it's the actual hdd. I think it's the pcb board on the back. I did actually find one on e-bay. I will commuicate with the gentlemen and see if it's the correct pcb. Any idea if the pcb is hard to change out? It doesn't look to bad. The drive just has a bunch of computer games on it for my kids. I'm not going for data recovery, but a $40 pcb board may be worth a shot.

Edited by jwmghf, 08 June 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:28 AM

The PCBs are easy to swap out (don't lose the little contact strip on many models sandwiched between the PCB and the drive body). That being said there are a couple of things that cause problems. The PCB should be of the same hardware revision, and in a perfect world the firmware should be the same as the old board as well. Sometimes a drive gets picky.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thanks m8. I will look into this further and post back.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

If it is just games for the kids It may not be worth the effort.

You will have to reinstall them on a new drive anyway.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

If it is just games for the kids It may not be worth the effort.

You will have to reinstall them on a new drive anyway.

not the case here ,he/they are only going to change the control board on the back of the drive ,if the one on ebay is the same it should boot the old hdd and run the games just fine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hey guys:

The board is not an exact match and apparently it has to be. Also the games are not installed on the hard drive. They are in .rar format and are not for the computer at all.

So, I am waiting to here back from him to see if he has an exact match. Stay tuned...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users