Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Link router dead?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dongna

dongna

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

I have a D-Link DGL-4100 wired router for my home network. Connected are desktop PC, laptop, Apple Airport Express (which provides iTunes playback through my home stereo and also provides wireless access), and a Hauppauge Media MVP media player. Internet is through DSL modem.

This setup was working perfectly until recently when some stormy weather went through and we lost power. When the power returned, there was no connectivity through the router. No internet, no laptop-to-desktop, no media, no nothing. I have tried resetting the router, rebooting everything. I followed the specific setup instructions included with the router. But I can't seem to get it working.

The lights on the router all appear as they should. However, the router docs say I should be able to access the router at http://192.168.0.1, but when I type this address into my browser, it does not connect.

I'm trying to determine if the router is fried, or if I simply lost some settings somewhere when the power went out. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

When resetting everything did you turn the modem on first, then the router, then the computers?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 dongna

dongna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

Yes, that is the order I turned everything on as per the instructions that came with the router.

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

If even laptop to desktop doesn't work then it doesn't look good for the router. Are you getting an address (via DHCP) from the router on your devices ? Can you see the other devices at all in your network neighborhood (or equivalent for your OS) ? If not, the switch chip is probably fried on the router. Time for a technology upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users