Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Files and settings transfer wizard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

In process of system recovery, I hoped to use Microsoft Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. Before my system reformat, it compiled a file of settings only, 377MB, which it named USMT2IMG.DAT, on a 4GB memory stick.

After reformat, with about 20 of the original programs installed (MS Office 2007, Mozilla, printer, Norton, etc.) I cannot run the transfer correctly. The program seems to be led to the memory stick OK, but then demands I insert Disk 1. It refuses a blank CD (..disk you inserted is not correct. Please insert Disk 1.) Options are then Retry or Cancel. Refuses an empty drive, same message. Cancel causes shutdown of the Wizard.

An "expert" tells me that this program only ever works with files, not settings. Looks like the damage is done now, but I wonder now whether to pay the expert. Can this be true?

Edited by Geoffc, 08 June 2011 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Some Links Worth Reading

Louis

#3 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Many thanks for reference, Hamluis. I see one can reasonably believe whatever one likes on the issue. However, for intermediate users like me, people who see computers as a means rather than an end, my expert was right: you can't trust F.A.S.T. The Microsoft documentation is simplistic - it looks like intuitive software, and it isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users