Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Trouble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cpinski

Cpinski

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Mobo: Asus p5n-d
2x 2gb (4gb) Ram Kingston pc-6400 800mhz (Currently)
2x 1gb Buffalo pc-6400 8mhz (the ram want to use)

Hello, a friend of mine recently gave me 2x 1gb sticks of buffalo pc-6400 800mhz ram. I was excited because it matched my current rams speed. It works well and boots the first time, both the bios and windows recognizes it and i dont have any slow slow-down from it. However, whenever i power off my computer if i try to restart it i get to the windows loading screen but it stops there, ever safe-mode stops on the load screen. When i take the two new sticks out everythings fine.

So long story short i just want to know if its anything like system or bios settings thats stopping it? I ran a Memtest+ (the newest version as of a couple days ago)and it showed no errors. I ever updated my bios itself, yet all too no avail. If anyone alot smarter than me knows why the ram does this it would be great to be able to use it. I know chances are its just bad ram but i would like to get up to 6gb. I havent swapped the ramm completly to check if its the dimm slots yet, but i took an air compressor to the whole pc to clean out the dust and i wanna try to avoid lugging it back out if its something like timing or a setting causing the error.

I also attached a sysinfo file from nvidia control panel if its any help.

Thank you,
Corey

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Some boards are picky when it comes to RAM...not all modules are created equal. You only mentioned the generic spec for the new modules.

Are you sure that you have the modules in the right slots for dual-channel, according to the motherboard manual? Did you run the new modules by themselves...before dumping them all together?

You might download and take a look at the QVL for that board.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#3 Cpinski

Cpinski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thank you for the response, ya the ramm doesnt show up specifically in the manual, i learned that lesson when i first built the pc (what a headache it was) but i kinda figured i wouldnt be able to use the ram i was just hoping for so miricle easy fix lol. thank you your time,
Corey

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2011 - 12:04 PM.
Deleted unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users