Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different Places same address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ralphG

ralphG

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Why is it when I look up the IP address to a URL
it sometime takes me to a different website, when
I type the IP in the box ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Many websites are hosted on what are known as shared hosting servers. Indeed this is the most affordable way to host a website and is appropriate for websites that don't have enormous amounts of traffic. A side effect of this, however, is that more than one website will be at a given IP address.

Let's say you visit www.example.com in your browser and that www.example.com is hosted on a shared server. Your browser first does the DNS lookup and sees that example.com lives at 123.456.789.001. So a request is sent to 123.456.789.001 for the page you requested. Along with the name of the file, the request also has a section named "host" which is the name of the website (example.com.) The web server software that's running on 123.456.789.001 sees this and is thereby able to send back the correct webpage. However if the "host" field is blank or invalid, then the web server software will (usually) treat the request as being addressed to a pre-configured fallback host.

That's why you can visit 123.456.789.001 in your web browser and get a completely different website than if you entered the domain name.

Edit:
It's possible to find out what other websites are living on the same server by using one of several online tools. Like this one.

Edited by Andrew, 07 June 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#3 ralphG

ralphG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thank you Andrew.
That really helped me out.
Thanks for the link its just what I needed.
Have a good night.

Ralph :clapping:

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users