Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking out my Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yoyoforever

yoyoforever

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

About two weeks ago I had a bout with either an infection or a faker, named Windows Safeguard Utility. It took over my pc, I finally managed after three days to get Windows Help Screen to
open and I saw Bleeping Computers, and rkill. After many tries I got to the run at start and typed in rkill. I thought the menace was gone, but I am having problems still, opening web sites, typing and
cannot keep IE from closing.

I have not had anyone to check out my computer and make sure it is clean. I would really appreciate it if one of our BC experts would do this for me.

My operating system is Dell Inspiron 64bit Windows 7 I also have a Gateway Vista Home Premium 32 bit that needs checking out as well.

Thanks again

Edited by yoyoforever, 07 June 2011 - 01:06 PM.

YoYoForever

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Follow the instructions in the link below. Post the log back here from MBAM after you have rebooted to complete
the removal of any malware that MBAM found.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-safeguard-utility
Remove Windows Safeguard Utility (Uninstall Guide)

EDIT: Also run a scan with the free Eset online scanner in link below.
Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

• Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

Edited by buddy215, 07 June 2011 - 01:12 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 yoyoforever

yoyoforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I done everything that you instructed me to do. I was infected but, I do not know how to send the log back here. I have tried everyway to get the est scanner to work but, it will not

open or download. I get a message at the bottom of the screen that tells me that there is an error on the page and EST has to close. I ran the MBAM again and came out clean but, when I

attempted to run or download the est, Internet Explorer informed me that it could not open the page. Thank You so very much!
YoYoForever

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

Give Eset another try. It does seem to work best in IE. Use Rkill right before the next attempt.

You should be able to post the MBAM logs. Here again are the instructions for finding and posting the logs.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Were you able to and did you update MBAM before each scan? That is very important. MBAM updates throughout the day
and should be updated before each scan.

Did you fix your Windows Registry Shell value? Use RKILL?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 yoyoforever

yoyoforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200www.malwarebytes.orgDatabase version: 6705Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.164216/10/2011 11:27:42 AMmbam-log-2011-06-10 (11-27-42).txtScan type: Quick scanObjects scanned: 1Time elapsed: 14 second(s)Memory Processes Infected: 0Memory Modules Infected: 0Registry Keys Infected: 0Registry Values Infected: 0Registry Data Items Infected: 0Folders Infected: 0Files Infected: 0Memory Processes Infected:(No malicious items detected)Memory Modules Infected:(No malicious items detected)Registry Keys Infected:(No malicious items detected)Registry Values Infected:(No malicious items detected)Registry Data Items Infected:(No malicious items detected)Folders Infected:(No malicious items detected)Files Infected:(No malicious items detected)
YoYoForever

#6 yoyoforever

yoyoforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

Do you think that I am okay now? My computer still a tick off. When I come to this website log in, then click on Forums my screen goes very dark (almost black) and a second or two later it is
alright again.
YoYoForever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users