Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have anything to worry about?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hi everyone, I've got a question for you, it's a question that's been nagging me for a long time, and I'd like to finally get an answer to put my mind at rest.

At the college I used to go to, there was a girl who was a bit of a hacker, and I once accidentally left my laptop unaccompanied in the same room as her, since then, I have worried that she put a program on my laptop to control it, such as Log Me In (not entirely sure what these programs are called - remote control programs?), in other words, I'm worried that she has been able to read my keystrokes and mess about with my machine. My accounts, such as facebook haven't been accessed, but I still have this niggling feeling, probably stupid, but still makes me worry.

My laptop was off and did have a long password, but could she have got round this? I've since formatted 3 times, such is the extent of my worry. I used to have Vista Home Premium 32-bit, I reinstalled it last summer, then again in the autumn. Recently I bought Windows 7 Home Premium, and have installed the 64-bit version. I've also moved since (not for that reason :P ) so my ip will have changed, since my ISP has.

How can I be sure that she is not still monitoring my laptop? It's probably just paranoia, but it's effecting me. I've scanned with malwarebytes' and found nothing. Would it find that sort of program?

Another odd thing, when I turned my laptop on it was on standby, and I'd shut it down, or vice versa, but that could just be forgetfullness, and it appeared that my system restore points had been deleted since before the date I left my machine, but again, that was probably incompetence on my part, since I probably hadn't selected "Show restore points older than 5 days". Also, internet explorer always seemed to have a bit of data that wasn't wiped, even with CCleaner, but again, that's probably just Vista...Lol.

Would formatting have deleted such software, or do I need to do anything else? Please help, it's driving me mad! :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

Even if your hacker friend had broken into your computer, reformatting the drive and reinstalling the OS would have completely obliterated any programs or alterations she may have made.

#3 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

Even though formatting with the Vista and 7 install disks only does a quick format?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Yes, even with a quick format. While not destroying the underlying data, a quick format does render the data completely inaccessible unless you go looking for it with specialized software tools. If you want to, you can use a tool like Eraser to completely destroy anything left over from the quick format from within Windows.

#5 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

So, one last thing. If she'd added a program such as log me in, to control my machine and log my keystrokes, then formatting it would have disabled that program, rendering it inoperable to her?

Also, would the drive wiper built into CCleaner do the same thing as Eraser, as it allows you to wipe free space?

Edited by Brother_of_Kermode, 07 June 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#6 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

So, one last thing. If she'd added a program such as log me in, to control my machine and log my keystrokes, then formatting it would have disabled that program, rendering it inoperable to her?

Yes.

Also, would the drive wiper built into CCleaner do the same thing as Eraser, as it allows you to wipe free space?

CCleaner's secure delete performs the same funtion as Eraser.

Edited by DoubleMinor, 07 June 2011 - 01:58 PM.

~DM

#7 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm sorry about this, something I forgot to include in my OP, could the program spread via Flash drives and such like? If I use the same flash drive that I used before I formatted, could the remote control program spread like that, or is it just viruses that spread like that?

And thanks for the help everyone, it's really eased my mind.

#8 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

I'm sorry about this, something I forgot to include in my OP, could the program spread via Flash drives and such like? If I use the same flash drive that I used before I formatted, could the remote control program spread like that, or is it just viruses that spread like that?

The program would not spread to your thunb drive. It would have to be installed there in the 1st place.
~DM

#9 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

The program would not spread to your thunb drive. It would have to be installed there in the 1st place.

You mean it would have to be installed on my machine again for it to work again? Also I formatted the only thumb drive I took to college, so I don't think there's anything to worry about there.

#10 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

You mean it would have to be installed on my machine again for it to work again? Also I formatted the only thumb drive I took to college, so I don't think there's anything to worry about there.

^^^ correct!

You should have nothing to worry about regarding your original post. :thumbup2:
~DM

#11 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Thanks so much mate, and you too Andrew, this has stopped me worrying about something that I've been worrying about far too long.

Just one last (I know I've said this before, lol) but if it were installed on my thumb drive, it couldn't be used to control my laptop using the program from the thumb drive, could it?

Oh, and a general IT Question, which in your opinion is better, MSE Or Avast?

Edited by Brother_of_Kermode, 07 June 2011 - 02:22 PM.

#12 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thanks so much mate, and you too Andrew, this has stopped me worrying about something that I've been worrying about far too long.

Just one last (I know I've said this before, lol) but if it were installed on my thumb drive, it couldn't be used to control my laptop using the program from the thumb drive, could it?

There are programs that can be installed onto thumb drives and run when the thumb drives are connected. However, You have formated both the laptop and thumbdrive so the program in question is no longer there to run.

My opinion, both are equally effective.
~DM

#13 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

There are programs that can be installed onto thumb drives and run when the thumb drives are connected. However, You have formated both the laptop and thumbdrive so the program in question is no longer there to run.

My opinion, both are equally effective.

When you say that, you mean that they only run when the thumb drive is connected, or that it installs itself when the thumb drive is connected? I've never heard of a program (as in a program not a virus) that can install itself to the hard disk.

#14 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

The program is ran from the thumb drive only when it is connected, not installed, as it is already installed on the thumb drive.
~DM

#15 Brother_of_Kermode

Brother_of_Kermode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

Gotcha, so even if it was on the thumb drive, I'm not in any danger unless the thumb drive is connected, since it can only run when the thumb drive is plugged in, right?

Thanks man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users