Try to defrag in safe mode
It's recommandable to run disc cleanup first, before defrag., to clean out temporary files that are cluttering the PC and making it slow after some time:(you might want to print out the steps or save them in a textfile, because you can't connect to this site in safe mode (without internet access))Restart the PC in safe mode
* Restart the pc
* When the windows xp-logo screen with the progress bar at the bottom appears, click 2 times (about once a second) on the 'F8' button
* Then follow the directions on the bottom of the screen: From the Windows Start-up menu, highlight "Safe Mode" > press Enter.
* Wait for your desktop to appearDisk Cleanup
* Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
* Choose your Windows-drive > Check the boxes in the list and delete the files
* Click yes/okAnd then a defragmentation
* Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, and then click "Disk Defragmenter"
* Check the volume that you want to defragment > click "Defragment"
Does it defrag the disk totally now ?
Then reboot in normal mode ans check if defragmentation is also completely working in normal mode now,
Edited by *Desdinova*, 07 January 2006 - 10:37 AM.