Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!! Dell Inspiron 1440 will not boot...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MissyLynn

MissyLynn

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 1440 running windows 7. This computer was purchased new about a year and a half ago, and I have had no problems up until a couple days ago. I went to turn my laptop on the other morning and as usual the dell logo came up and loaded, then the windows symbol saying "starting windows"... then strangely a black screen with a cursor arrow... nothing more, no log in screen... just black nothingness... I have ran the diognostics and they all say "pass". I am able to access F2 & F12 but it will not boot in safe mode or with a command prompt... Not sure what to do or what the problem is. Any ideas? Any information would greatly be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Have you tried booting to your W7 dvd and running startup repair options?

#3 MissyLynn

MissyLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Yes I did try the repair and even a system restore and nothing... I haven't had any problems or virus's... I constantly scan and rarely download anything. Saturday night I was watching music video's on youtube... Sunday afternoon when I went to turn it on I got what I described above, a black screen. I haven't had any error or warning messages other than one telling me I may need a new battery soon....

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Can you get to the advanced boot options screen (when the system first begins to boot, start tapping the F8 Function key until you get to that screen)? If so, try Last Known Good Configuration..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users