Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyaxe/spyware Strike Removed? Hjt Log

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phm

phm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Hello:

I had a thread a while ago about SpyAxe/SpywareStrike infecting my computer. My attempts at using the detailed instructions from this forum had seemed to succeed in removing everything except for the annoying pop-up. I then posted a solution I had found from another board that seemed to "do the trick" for my machine. I've looked over my HijackThis log and it seems clean to me, but I would be very grateful if one of the more experienced folks here owuld take a look at it as well to see if anything looks amiss. Here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 08:29:09, on 01/07/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Serv-U\Serv-U32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt Creek\Desktop\hijackthis2\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = sas.ce1.attbb.net:8000
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.ce1.attbb.net
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - Startup: Serv-U.lnk = C:\Program Files\Serv-U\Serv-U32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Cisco Systems VPN Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\ipsecdialer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All Links with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEGetAll.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEExt.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Sheepshead - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/dt0_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Housecall ActiveX 6.5) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

Download this program:

submit files packer

Highlight the files listed below in bold and right-click and selecting copy.

C:\Program Files\SpywareStrike\*
c:\windows\system32\netwrap.dll

Then start the file packer program and right click in the white box and select paste to paste the copied file names in the field.

Then press the Continue button.

I will create an archive with these files and a small log on your Desktop that starts with a name like requested-file[date].cab.

Rename this file to yourmembername.cab (for example grinler.cab).

Then go to:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php
and fill in the required fields and browse to this file on your desktop. Finally click on the Send File button.

Download Silentrunners.zip from:

http://www.silentrunners.org/

Run the SilentRunners.vbs file. If your antivirus has a script blocker, you will get a warning asking if you want to allow SilentRunners.vbs to run. It might say something like "Malicious Script Warning". This script is not malicious so you are safe in allowing it to run. When it asks if you want to skip the supplemental search tests, press the No button.

When it has finished it will produce a Startup Programs text file. Copy and paste that text file here in your next reply.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

Also if you can tell me where you got this infection it would be great. If you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly then feel free to pm me or tell me when you submit the files.

#4 phm

phm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

Also if you can tell me where you got this infection it would be great. If you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly then feel free to pm me or tell me when you submit the files.

Hi Grinler:

Thanks for the advice. However, the solution that I invoked to get rid of the problem involved both uninstalling SpywareStrike (which got rid of the SpywareStrike directory) and manually deleting the file netwrap.dll. Sorry!

As for where I got it, I don't know for sure. I was browsing some political web sites, and all of a sudden I saw what looked like the Windows Picture & Fax viewer pop up on my screen, and saw my CPU usage jump up to 100%. I disonnected my network cable as fast as I could, but I already had SpywareStrike installed before I got it disconnected. I think the specific web site that started it was a pop-up from one of the web sites I was at, though, as opposed to a site I specifically intended to go to.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

I would suggest you do these instructions anyway to remove any leftover registry entries:

Please follow the instructions found in this topic in order to remove SpywareStrike as SmitRem was updated today to handle this infection.

How To Remove SpywareStrike And Netwrap.dll

If you have previously download SmitRem, please delete the smitrem folder on your computer and download and run it again with the instructions given above. When you are done, please post a new log and tell me if your better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users