Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Shutdown w/o error MessageInvolving Graphics

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

Hello, So here is my lovely issue. My system crashes normally when I run games. Now heres the odd point, a brand new game (Dragon Age 2)thats highly graphically intensive will run and the system wont crash. However older games that are less graphically intense(Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2) will cause it to crash. Some older even less graphically Intense programs do not cause it to crash (Dune 2000). A newer 3d chat program called IMVU will run and not crash unless a mode for 3d texturing is launched within said program. I have tried to approach this logically but so far nothing seems to be uniform. If anyone has any ideas please belt them out. Now here are the system specs.

Windows Xp Pro Service Pack 3 Version 2002
Motherboard: Asus M4N78 Pro
Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8 Ghz
RAM : 2.0 Gigs
Hard Drives Space: 1.657 TB
Video Card: Evga GeForce GTS 450
Video Card driver version 6.14.12.7061

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2011 - 07:04 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

Please define "crash" - EXACTLY what happens?

#4 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Well As I am waiting for Speccy to get itself completed. (or Not as it seems to encounter an error anytime it starts running.)
Error Signature AppNamespeccy.exe AppVer:1.11.0.256 ModVer:1.11..256 Offset:0013876a

Alan crash would mean specifically that the whole system automatically without any warning or log of error turns off. This is an abrupt crash.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

So it doesn't reboot - it shuts down - is that correct? If so, I'd suggest starting by checking ram. To check the ram, download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

You can also make sure you have the latest video driver (obtained from the oem website, not from Windows Update).

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Sounds like it could be over heating or you are getting poor voltages from your power supply.

#7 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

Cryptodan, I was thinking heat myself but Should the heat jump sporadically high when an old game is placed into the system that will use far less of the video cards processing power ? It also seems a little strange that when the system drops if I turn it back on it starts up without issue or hassle and the heat in the system remains at about 83F Processor around 104F Thats where I loose track of that but I am getting some more internal fans to help defuse that potential. As for Voltage, Asus PC Probe seems to indicate that the Voltage is at nominal. Although to be fair my knowledge of voltage issues is spotty at best. Is there a way to find out if a powersource is throwing bad voltage erratically, Other than replacing the powersource ?

Alan, As for the Memtest I'll set that up here in a few. Just need to locate a normal Burnable cd.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

Can you post a speccy?

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

Checked for viruses/malware recently?
If so, with what programs?

Never discount the possibility of a bug.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:49 AM

Alan, Alright Memtest Completed No Issues found all Tests Passed.what would you think Next ?

CryptoDan, As for the Speccy I would love to but the Program launches installed or Portable and crashes instantly. Not Sure why on that one. However I will attempt to redownload it and hope that its just two corrupted downloads.

Eyesee, I have indeed checked for bugs, but My arsenal consists of, AVG Free, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, SuperAnti-Spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, CCleaner, and Advanced System Care. All have been Run in the last 3 days and updated.

#11 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

Alright do we have an Alternative to Speccy because it seems current versions and past versions all encounter and error and need to close before they launch.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Please remove Ad-Aware, CCleaner, Advanced System Care as these programs are notorious for causing issues.

Please stick to one virus scanner. I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials its more user friendly and just works. I have been using it for well over 2 years now on all my computers and have had 0 issues with it and reporting false positives.

Spy Bot Search and Destroy is a good program if you know what it does and what not. Most often then not its considered a waste of resources.

And since you have registry tools or cleaners here is what we here at BC say:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Also can you post the 3 most recent scan logs for Mbam and Super Anti-Spyware.

Speccy is probably crashing because it requires special access to certain system functions.

#13 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6524

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/7/2011 12:20:12 AM
mbam-log-2011-05-07 (00-20-12).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 121926
Time elapsed: 45 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6524

5/7/2011 6:02:19 AM
mbam-log-2011-05-07 (06-02-19).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)
Objects scanned: 618692
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 49 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6767

6/3/2011 9:44:47 PM
mbam-log-2011-06-03 (21-44-46).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)
Objects scanned: 683156
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 32 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

As for the SuperAnti-spyware Logs those are non-existent as the selection of Save Clean/Empty Logs was unchecked. There is a log from a month ago that I can post if that will be helpful.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 05/07/2011 at 05:37 AM

Application Version : 4.42.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 6984
Trace Rules Database Version: 4796

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:05:32

Memory items scanned : 446
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 2307
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 250328
File threats detected : 3

Adware.Tracking Cookie
media.mtvnservices.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Mithrandirxx\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\GMHHDWAY ]
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Mithrandirxx\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\GMHHDWAY ]

Trojan.Agent/Gen-FakeAlert[RnGlobal]
F:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{999497F1-BE44-405E-AD43-FB1E913A769C}\RP81\A0020439.DLL

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Please run a Free Online Scan with ESET and post the log.

Edited by cryptodan, 09 June 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#15 NightmareSoul

NightmareSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

Sorry for the delay, I had the tower off until the new fans got in. I'll try to run a full Eset here in a second, Although it may take a while. I know I tried running it last night and it took nearly 15 hours and still wasn't finished when I needed to sleep. Which made it impossible to sleep (one of the new system Fans is the Vantec Tornado which is sadly way way too loud). Although I am curious I know potentials for problems have been overheat, voltage, Ram and viruses. Is there anything else that could be the culprit ? As since we have started this The system has crashed even when graphic issues are not running. What I mean by that is it has crashed(shut down) when loading up windows not to mention it crashed right after Bios Asus Gate skipped.

Edited by NightmareSoul, 15 June 2011 - 12:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users