Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

80070490 error, Updates keep failing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Diegno

Diegno

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on an Acer laptop. The problem constantly causes 2 updates in particular to fail (KB961501 & KB970238) with the error code 80070490. From what I've read, I must have a corrupt CBS manifest and I need to run a Repair Install with the original Vista CD/DVD, but I don't have it. My D: drive is almost completely empty (0.1gb used), so I don't think the recovery partition is there. (I can't be sure)
Steps I've taken so far include System Restore, Windows System Update Readiness Tool (the log reported no errors) and using an ISO of the Vista "Repair" CD to preform a Startup Repair during which I received this message:
"Startup repair could not detect a problem. If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer.If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance." I also ran the hardware check on the recovery CD, which found no errors.
I'm not the original owner of the laptop. Is there anything short of replacing the original OS disk, or buying a new one, that can be done to fix this issue? Would WAIK be helpful?
Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users