Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I set up a LAN network at home with a ethernet switch?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

I'm using an ethernet switch and a few ethernet cables, trying to connect a Windows 7 home premium to a Window Vista. The problem is that I'm not actually getting them through. Both lights are on, and blinking once in a while. I'm trying to get both the computers to be able to use the same internet connection at the same time. But i cant seem to get both of them on the same network. Or ANY network at all here...it just goes into some sorta connection and goes on forever and then tells me that I cant connect to the other comptuer for some reason.

The internet connection's not so important but how exactly to i set up a lan connection anyway? seems a bit complicated. but just for the sake of it, im using one of those vodafone mobile internet things (horrible imo, low data allowance, low speed, constant d/c)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 purgee

purgee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Since nobody here has helped you, I will try and be of assistance.

If you are trying to simply make 2 pc's communicate with each other on a lan via a switch, you would need to set a static Ip on the same subnet on each pc.

If you are trying to use it with the vodafone, you need to make sure the vodafone device has DHCP enabled and is giving out information to the switch. The switch itself is not doing the DHCP it only relays packets. So if pc1 is requesting ip info it goes to the vodafone and then the vodafone responds back with the needed info and the switch sends it back to the pc that requested it.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Sorry for the late response. If your ISP only assigns you one IP address you will need to set-up Internet sharing on one of the computers. This way one computer will obtain an IP address and connect to the internet through your modem the other computer (the client) will connect to the internet through the first computer (the host). Microsoft covers this very topic located HERE

How to use Internet Connection Sharing
To use Internet Connection Sharing to share your Internet connection, the host computer must have one network adapter that is configured to connect to the internal network, and one network adapter or modem that is configured to connect to the Internet.

On the host computer
On the host computer, follow these steps to share the Internet connection:
  • Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
  • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  • Click Network and Internet Connections.
  • Click Network Connections.
  • Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet. For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click the connection that you want under Dial-up.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
  • If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
  • Click OK. You receive the following message: When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
    address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
    your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
    to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
    Connection Sharing?
  • Click Yes.
The connection to the Internet is shared to other computers on the local area network (LAN). The network adapter that is connected to the LAN is configured with a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

On the client computer
To connect to the Internet by using the shared connection, you must confirm the LAN adapter IP configuration, and then configure the client computer. To confirm the LAN adapter IP configuration, follow these steps:
  • Log on to the client computer as Administrator or as Owner.
  • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  • Click Network and Internet Connections.
  • Click Network Connections.
  • Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
  • Click the General tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the This connection uses the following items list, and then click Properties.
  • In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, click Obtain an IP address automatically (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.

Note You can also assign a unique static IP address in the range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. For example, you can assign the following static IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway: IP Address 192.168.0.2 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.0.1
  • In the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box, click OK.
  • Quit Control Panel.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

Thank you, the internet hasnt been working at all lately. (Really bad service imo) But I think that should do it

#5 Wickedsrain

Wickedsrain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Thank you for that.. but Alas it isnt working for me. I did set it up so that it could share its connection with the non wireless computers on the (non-internet connected) other network. But, still as soon as I hook up the machine that is wireless to either the hub or the router the wireless connection goes out and it sees the other network but there is no longer a connection wirelessly to the internet through a netgear3300 router. It sees the wireless connection but it will not allow it out to the internet. the main machine is a windows 7 machine that I had hooked up on my own connection until we had to move and it will be 3 months before i can reconnect my own connection due to construction on my house.

computer 1
(windows 7 attached wireless)
|
(switch/hub) (can hook up a router here but not sure it would help)
|
Computer 2, 3, 4
(windows xp in their own wired network with NO access to the internet)

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

The best way to set up the network would be to use a router connected to the modem then connect all the other computers to the router. So it would be as follows: Modem Connected to the router WAN port using a Ethernet Crossover cable (supplied with the router) then connect computers 2,3,4 to the LAN ports on the router using a straight through Ethernet cable. Then set up the wireless connection for Computer 1.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 June 2011 - 01:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Wickedsrain

Wickedsrain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

I would so love to do that.. and normally I would but i am currently living in a basement apartment. That is why the main machines are connected wirelessly to the router and they work fine.. but its just being able to access the data and stuff on these other machines for work and not being able to do so. That is why I asked what I did. Is there a way around it dropping the wireless connection when i try to attach the hub to my machine?

#8 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

Umm i know this has absolutely nothing to do with what you told me to do, but now there seems to be this error that says something about IP address clashing? Is that meant to happen?

#9 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

When/If you statically assigned the IP Addresses on your two workstations, did you by any chance accidently give them the same IP Address?? If so then change one of them to a different IP (You would only need to change the last segment xxx.xxx.xxx.123)

BT
-BrendanT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users