Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows hangs 2-3 mins after login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 philmas

philmas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

Hello,

New to the forums -- and first would like to say I appreciate the help and support offered here. I am trying to assist my neighbor fix a starup problem they're experiencing after logging on to XP. They've lent me the laptop until I am able to get it resolved.

Specs:
HP Pavilion zv5000 series laptop
Win XP Pro SP3
P4 3Ghz
384MB RAM

The system successfully logs into windows, starts about 23 processes almost immediately, then hangs for around 2 mins. During this time, the system does not allow wireless internet connection to be obtained, and when I try to load Internet Explorer it won't load until the "hanging time" is up. So after the system finally finishes loading a few more processes, the system grabs an IP from the wireless connection and all seems to be OK. These "delayed" processes appear to be alg.exe, imapi.exe, and possibly one or two others. I've already tried disabling alg.exe in Services with no luck, and have also tried disabling the WebClient service which also did not work (was recommended by another thread I read somewhere). Starting in Safe Mode with Networking has no problem loading everything immediately and there is no hang.

I have downloaded HiJackThis already but haven't done any of their recommended fixes yet -- let me know if I should post this logfile.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

Add more RAM as a start. 384mb is miniscule, and RAM is very cheap.

Specs:
HP Pavilion zv5000 series laptop
Win XP Pro SP3
P4 3Ghz
384MB RAM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=385148

You can increase the amount of RAM (random access memory) in the notebook with an optional memory module approved by HP.

The notebook contains 2 memory slots, one of which is accessible for an optional 128-MB, 256-MB, 512-MB, or 1024-MB memory module upgrade.

Depending on the notebook model, the notebook might ship with a vacant memory slot. On other models the memory slot contains a preinstalled memory module that can be replaced at any time.

#3 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

As well as adding more ram try disabling some of the start up programs, as it may well be one of those that are causing the hang here is a run through of how to do it.....

http://www.winxptutor.com/msconfig.htm

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#5 philmas

philmas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hey all,

Certainly appreciate the prompt responses. I had already gone into the msconfig and unchecked every item in the Startup tab except for "ctfmon.exe", so there's really not much starting up at all from there. In the General tab, I do still have checked "Process SYSTEM.INI File" and "Process WIN.INI" File", and the "Load System Services" and "Load Startup Items" are both partially checked (square checkboxes). Allan - are you saying I should uncheck all of these, reboot, and see what happens? Also, I had run Hijackthis but don't know how to analyze this very well -- anything look a bit off with this or is all clear?

Removed HJT log as they are not analyzed outside of the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs which is restricted to malware removal assistance. At this point, there is nothing to indicate malware. If that changes, instructions for what to do will be provided at that time. Orange Blossom ~ forum moderator

Thanks again for the input!!

Phil

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 June 2011 - 12:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users