Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random periods of "stuttering" after hardware upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fontaine

fontaine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

Recently I upgraded my Desktop with a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Along with the hardware upgrade, I re-installed windows 7 64-bit for a fresh start. I promptly installed all my drivers (chipset INF, gpu, etc.) from their respected manufacturer websites. However, when watching 1080p videos, or playing a graphically intense game, my computer sometimes enters periods of stuttering where everything freezes for a split second every few seconds. These periods usually last for a few minutes, and then stop. And by freezing, I mean display, input, sound, and even internet connections are interrupted (causing SSH and other services to abort connection). Everything is fine after waiting a few minutes, or rebooting the computer.

I started to think it was a overheating problem, but checking the temperatures in HWMonitor, everything seemed fine. GPU topped at around 50 degrees C, while the CPU topped around 45. Everything else was the same.

So I then thought about the RAM, and ran memtest-x86, to which it produced no errors.

I didn't think about my GPU because I wouldn't think the display card would cause interruptions with sound, input, and internet.

A friend of mine mentioned possible PSU problems, but I am not that knowledgeable with proper voltages and such. I checked the BIOS monitors and HWMonitor for the readings and were wondering if these were abnormal:
--IN BIOS--
Vcore: 1.212V
DDR15V: 1.548V
+12V: 12.024V
Vcc3: 3.304V
Vtt: 1.088V

--IN HWMONITOR--
Vcore: 1.06V
VIN1: 2.00V
+3.3V: 2.94V
+5V: 4.92V
-12V: -3.89V
-5V: -6.19V
+5V VCCH: 2.82V
VBAT: 1.60V
CPU: 0.96V

My specs:
CPU: Intel i7 2600k - socket 1155
Mobo: GA-P67A-UD3-B3
GPU: Radeon HD 4850 1gb DDR3
RAM: 2x4gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 650w

I am really at a loss as to what could be the problem. I have tried re-installing windows again to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Go to the control panel for you Radeon and make sure your card has control rather than on board. I would also check your mother board specs and make sure you have your video card installed into the pci express x16 2.0 and all the power leads are installed properly. Make sure you 2 sticks of ram are installed in the proper 2 slots as per mother board manual. I believe your card has 2 power connections. Your mother board has a 24 pin connection and a 8 pin power connection. I would check all of them. After a major hardware change it is very easy to miss a connection or have a loose one.

#3 fontaine

fontaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Go to the control panel for you Radeon and make sure your card has control rather than on board. I would also check your mother board specs and make sure you have your video card installed into the pci express x16 2.0 and all the power leads are installed properly. Make sure you 2 sticks of ram are installed in the proper 2 slots as per mother board manual. I believe your card has 2 power connections. Your mother board has a 24 pin connection and a 8 pin power connection. I would check all of them. After a major hardware change it is very easy to miss a connection or have a loose one.

I have double checked all of that. All connections seem fine.

#4 fontaine

fontaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Sorry for the double post, and I'm sure not many people will care, but for those with a similar problem, I have found the solution.

After replacing my PSU, GPU, Motherboard, and CPU, and still the problem persisting, I began looking at everything. Recently I upgraded from a USB Wireless-G adapter to a PCI-Ex4 Wireless-N adapter and almost forgot about it. Upon searching for my problem in relation to that card, I stumbled upon many others experiencing the exact same issue. Sure enough, taking that adapter out and using the USB one, everything worked fine. Apparently there were driver issues with the driver windows installed automatically for the device. Upon upgrading the driver from the ASUS website (I have an ASUS PCE-N13 adapter), all is well again.

Reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/6670-63-strange-windows-stutter

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

I'm glad you got things working as they should. I also have luck updating drivers after new hardware is installed from the manufactures web site. The only drivers I install through Windows Updates are for Microsoft hardware like keyboard and/or mouse. They seem to be okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users