Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluescreen at Boot after infection: Fake Windows Security

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 deady

deady

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

I got hit by the fake Windows XP Total Security virus. I knew what it was the second it appeared... I disabled the internet connection but not fast enough. It was launching "emj.exe" and "lssas.exe" (as opposed to the legit lsass.exe?) as the fake scanners.

I have Windows XP. I immediately launched MalwareBytes, but nothing happened. It had disabled the program as well as all web browsers. I then launched Avast! and it proceeded to scan. It found 3 infections. Two were deleted instantly, one it would delete on startup. Confident in Avast, I rebooted.

When I did, I got a bluescreen. Text said to run CHKDSK /F for corruption or viruses. Rebooted again, same thing. Rebooted a third time in SAFE MODE, and I got a screen full of lines about "partition" and the strings ended in files names. This happened in every version of SAFE MODE, so I can't use that to get on my computer.

Then I rebooted and hit f12 for "disk utilities" and did a scan. All disks checked out fine, but I still cannot get to DOS or WINDOWS to run RKILL.

Can anyone tell me how I can log onto my computer to try the fixes that are posted here? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users