Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After infection active desktop will not function correctly

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Villainaire

Villainaire

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

I got the system recovery virus which hid all of my files, folders and hid everything on my desktop as well. I ran malwarebytes with success, then tried to use system restore. For some reason system restore wasn't able to restore to a previous date, so I booted up normally and had to unhide all the files & folders manually. Everything on my computer is running normally EXCEPT my active desktop. There's nothing on it except my background that I unhid and "set as background" once again. I can locate all my files that were on my desktop by going to "my computer" then clicking "up". I have unhid all the files to no avail. I can still use all the files, but I cannot drag them to my desktop. I cannot left or right click on my active desktop. The recycle bin isn't even on my desktop.

Any fix for my active desktop and/or system restore?

NOTE: I just tried opening Skype, and it immediately disappears less than 5 seconds after opening it and it also doesn't show up in the task manager.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my problem,
Villainaire

Using Windows XP Home SP3
Version 2002

Computer Intel ® Core™2 CPU
T5500 @ 1.66GHz
1.66GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2011 - 03:48 PM.
No logs, moved from MRL to AII.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users