Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about partitions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deng

Deng

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

I am doing a windows 7 recovery for my asus laptop and I have 3 options:

1) Recover windows to first partition only.

2) Recover windows to entire HD.

3) Recover windows to entire HD with two partitions.

I don't know what any of this means so an explanation of this choices would be great. Also, I would like to keep some of my old files like my itunes, which option will allow me to do that?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Without knowing what is on each partition it's hard to answer your question. Open Windows Explorer and tell us what is on each drive. Also, if you want to keep data files and perform a restore you should copy them to off-disk media first.

To answer your question more directly, your computer apparently has two partitions. Unless I'm mistaken you are being asked if you want to recover Windows to just the system partition and leave the other partition intact. OR Do you want to delete the second partition and have just one system partition. OR Do you want to leave the partition structure intact but delete all contents of the second partition and install Windows in the System partition.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

What does your user/owner manual say about the recovery mechanism installed...and how to use it?

Louis

#4 Deng

Deng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

I cant go to windows explorer. I was forced to do a system recovery because my computer got screwed up. I cant access anything except this recovery screen. All I want to know is if there is any way I can recover my system so that I dont lose my itunes.

#5 Pacs

Pacs

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

Deng, your best bet might be to pull the hard drive out of your case and get a USB -> Sata/IDE apater. New Egg You can plug that into another stable computer and copy and paste the files you need off your drive. If you believe that your current drive is infected with malware or a virus then I would be cautiuous about transfering any executable files. I would just stick with your music, photos, and the like.

Edited by Pacs, 09 June 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:26 AM

LOL asus

generally asus did an old school sony thing with their partition scheme... partition the drive into two parts: the thinking behind this is that you may save stuff on the second partition and if your first/os parition becomes corrupt you can just format over it. So....

erase what is on the first partition and install windows to that partition only... leave the stuff that I have saved in the second parition alone

get rid of the two partition scheme and one have one big partition.. no second partition

I don't care what I saved into the second place... erase both paritions... and put it back windows in the first partition... empty space in the second.

...But as your itunes generally saves into the first partition unless you change things... yea... plug it into another computer first and save your tunes.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 10 June 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#7 talaa123

talaa123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Urgent Urgent Urgent!

I did recovery to my asus laptop. I had 2 partitions C and D. C got the OS (win7) on it and D got the Data (pics, softwares, songs, etc).

On recovery I was asked those 3 options

I selected option 1 as I wanted to get my window refreshed and the data on D as it is (untouched), but I am shocked to see that there is only one partition C and no D!!!!!!

Please help as there was lots of important stuff on D.... How can I get that partition back.... where is D ???????

Please reply soon.....

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hi talaa123

Open run command by pressing 'Windows key+R' (or via start menu) and enter 'diskmgmt.msc' to open disk management. Let us know how many partitions you can see and the details of each partitions.

Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the 'List Users, Partitions and Memory size' box. Click 'Go' and post the result displayed by the tool.

#9 talaa123

talaa123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hello Anshad,

Thank you very much for your concern... here is the details returned by the tool

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version:21-04-2013
Ran by Zaheer (administrator) on 27-04-2013 at 13:56:30
Running from "C:\Users\Zaheer\Desktop"
Windows 7 Home Premium  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (10/08/2010 04:32:09 AM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed for "assemblyIdentity1".Error in manifest or policy file "assemblyIdentity2" on line assemblyIdentity3.
The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

System errors:
=============
Error: (04/27/2013 04:09:45 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Windows Search service hung on starting.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (10/08/2010 04:32:09 AM) (Source: SideBySide)(User: )
Description: assemblyIdentityversionMAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINORc:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dllc:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll3

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 55%
Total physical RAM: 2924.56 MB
Available physical RAM: 1300.57 MB
Total Pagefile: 5847.26 MB
Available Pagefile: 3469.79 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3984.35 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:72.69 GB) (Free:45.47 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\Zaheer-PC