Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for info about VIPRE Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ZachD

ZachD

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'm trying to decide which AV software to go to. I am torn between NOD32 and VIPRE, and while I know a lot of people who post on the forum have used NOD32, I am wondering if anybody has any experiences with VIPRE and would tell me some of the positives and negatives about the software so I can make a decision.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Its crap it will eat your memory and slow your computer to a crawl eventually.... Every time I run into a customer with this AV one of its processes has a huge amount of page faults (memory leak) not to mention it has let viruses past it and that's the reason I am servicing their computers to begin with. ESET NOD 32 is your best bet if your paying for something personally I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials and pay for the full version of MalwareBytes if you want to spend money this is the best route IMO.

#3 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

Hi

I would recommed trying out Avira free with winPatrol and spyware Blaster

and use hitman Pro as a backup scanner

If you wish to pay then I recommend Norton internet Security 2011

Its pretty good light on resources

does a good job preventing threats
Midou

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

IMO, Vipre is just as good as any other name brand anti-virus. The product is made by GFI (formerly Sunbelt), a reputable company which has been involved in fighting malware for years. At one time their CounterSpy Anti-spyware was one of the most effective anti-malware programs on the market.

TopTenReviews: Vipre Antivirus 4
PC MAG Review: Vipre Antivirus 4

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint but there is nothing wrong with Vipre.

Besides, choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 ZachD

ZachD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. Along with the typical web browsing and microsoft office usage, I primarily use my laptop for games, so a small footprint is a definite plus, especially if it isnt at significant expense of protection.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users