Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tv/monitor blinking uncontrollably i'm clueless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DerBear89

DerBear89

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

here's a niffty problem! Been a while since iv'e been here (i just missed everyone), actually just has not been a while since i have had a problem.
I am running duel displays but not so much as of late, my memorex tv which i use as my second monitor
blinks uncontrollably when trying to establish a firm connection with my computer. this has been going on since i built the pc, and im trying to avoid buying another monitor all together.
i have a dvi (I) adapter in the back of the pc and a vga "in" in the tv. sometimes i can get it to be still and cooperative for weeks but lately i cant get it to stop blinking for a second.
what i mean by blinking: the screen turns blue trying to establish a connection and then displays the resolution for a brief time, rinse and repeat. the tv is going on 4 years old, and my pc v-card is a
sapphire radeon 5770.

any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Have you been able to see if the TV does the same with a different computer (does "since I built the PC" mean it was OK with a previous system)? A substitution process can sometimes avoid a lot of fruitless guesswork. It would also be good to be able to prove the VGA cable and DVI adapter are not the cause, again substitution of known good ones provides definite results, although it might take some organizing to be able to borrow substitutes.

If the problem appears to be with the computer, one thing to check is if the video card control center has a setting for voltage of the video signal, typically 1V PP or 0.7V. If this gets set to the lower value, a monitor generally still detects it OK but a TV may not sense the signal reliably.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

come to think of it i have had my laptop plugged into this tv and it works without a hitch, which i guess leaves either the video card or the adapter right? my main monitor
works completely fine though, wouldn't it be effected as well if it was the video card?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

my main monitor works completely fine though, wouldn't it be effected as well if it was the video card?

Maybe, but we could only say that for sure if it works OK connected exactly the same way as the TV - i.e. same outlet, same adapter, same video cable. Also the laptop may not supply the exact same signal (level, resolution, scan frequency) as your computer, without the computer signal necessarily being faulty. Pretty much you're going to need to work out by changing things in an ordered way, which is the common factor that doesn't work properly.

Edited by Platypus, 07 June 2011 - 12:45 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

i feel like such a fool, i plugged the laptop in and noticed the resolution was far different from what i had set it on with the computer.
so, i plug it back in to the computer (starts blinking like crazy of course), then change it to the resolution the laptop had. AANDD.....
it completely stopped blinking... ugghh read way to much into that problem and it turned out to be a simple fix! thanks for the input
none-the-less SOLVED!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users