Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video Output on Startup?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DVA3438

DVA3438

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Specs:
AMD Phenom 8450 Tri Core Processor
MSI K9NGM4-F V2 Motherboard
2 x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 9600GT Graphics Card

Just replaced the Raidmax ATX12V 450W Power Supply and the CR2032 Battery on the Motherboard

Problem: No video output on startup. Everything seems to run, but I get nothin as far as video.

Story: I believe the power supply has been going out for quite awhile. After startup, the system would shutdown about 10 seconds in. After repeated starts, I could finally get it into a startup diagnostic where it would shutdown a few more times then do a system restore and would work. It slowly got worse to where a system restore wouldn't fix it and it actually shutdown in the middle of a restore and corrupted the OS. I'm not worried about the harddrive. I want to get my files off and reformat LATER. But.. My problem right now is I can't get the sytem to run even without the harddrive. I have started from scratch from nothing but a Motherboard, PSU, & CPU and slowly adding RAM, Cards, etc and no success. I have tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard, and the CR2032 battery. My guess is the motherboard is fried, or I simply need a replacement BIOS chip.. Any other ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DVA3438

DVA3438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

I just tried the old power supply and it seems to work just as well. I'm assuming it must be a Mobo/CPU issue..

#3 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

You can't even get in BIOS without it crashing correct? Have you tried using different RAM from what you have been using? Your data should be fine, and if it is, then you can always get an External casing with the proper interface and get the data out to a back up that way.

#4 DVA3438

DVA3438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

As of now, nothing is crashing. It starts.. the fans spin.. That's it. I'm not getting anything else.

#5 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Did you plug in the 12V connector from the power supply into the Motherboard? The 12V connector has 4-pins.

#6 DVA3438

DVA3438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

The JBW1? yes.

#7 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

I can't think of anything better, but I'm sure another techie might have some ideas. If the system doesn't even POST, yet CPU Fan spins, then I'd lean torwards the motherboard being fried.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

Well...I'm curious why you fingered the PSU...but failed to try a new one.

Older isn't better, normally.

Louis

#9 DVA3438

DVA3438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

I did try a new one. I just plugged the old one back in to be sure it was the power supply, which it obviously wasn't because they both work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users