Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Cdrw/sn-324b

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 griff23

griff23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:06 AM

Hello

I have a 3 yr old (!) samsung V20 laptop using xp home. Recently developed a problem with CD ROM/DVD drive.

The drive will read a CD-R/RW with photos on it - no problem at all, but wil not read a DVD, CD audio or CD ROM. When I insert one of these, I can hear the drive spinning, but it seems to click a intervals and it does not read the disk. Sometimes i hear the speed really pick up like it will begin to read and then it just stops and returns to clicking - if I try to explore with windows explorer at this stage - windows explorer stops responding.

Device manager tells me the device is working properly. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting - no joy, same problem. I do not have original boot disc any more - can't find it anywhere...grrr!

I have exhausted my limited knowledge of what could be going wrong. Anyone have any ideas before I cart it off to a potentially expensive repair job?

Thanks
Griff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:24 AM

Depending on the model, some V20's came without a DVD drive. Whick exact model of the V20 do you have?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 griff23

griff23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know there were different versions of the V20 and not sure how to tell you which one I have - i definitely has the dvd rom drive though - i have used it many times before when it was working fine.
Its a P4 2000 Ghz, 248 mb RAM from 2002, bought in the UK.

Griff

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

Oh great! :thumbsup: Now, when I search the UK site (I was using the US site) - there's no V-20 (but lot's of stuff like NV-20, NQ-20, NP-20, NP-X20)

What I'm trying to do is to find you new drivers on the Samsung site. I'd suggest that you go there and see if there are more current drivers, and if there are any firmware upgrades available.

I will say that the clicking is an ominous sign, and could indicate that the drive is failing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

Ok The drive and computer are atleast 3 years old that this person is talking about. I would suggest that getting new drivers (updated) is probably fine but what will more than likely fix the problem is to upgrade the firmware for the drive. Since this is a laptop I would suggest calling the manufacturer's tech support for this and for the only reason laptop's are their own very particular animal if you get what I mean. Get the proper info on firmware and how to install it. One suggestion since this is a laptop make sure the battery is charged fully and do the upgrade for the firmware on battery powqer not plugged into the wall. :thumbsup:

cya l8r

ThorXP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users