Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Randomly Restarts

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Maverick785

Maverick785

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

This is the first time my notebook has had a major issue in the five years I've owned it, so I thought I'd take a stab at getting it corrected.

My OS: Windows XP SP3

I have access to a second computer, which I'm currently using to send this message. I'm a little hesitant to get my troubled notebook back on the Internet.

Some background info: The other evening, I noticed that my google search results were being hijacked. I ran Spybot and found "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallBypass." I successfully corrected the entries, but I noticed that my searches were still being hijacked (although a few did go through properly). I shut down my computer without any issues.

The next day, I began experiencing issues during start up. Specifically, during the blue "Windows is starting up..." screen, my system would automatically restart. This happened continuously. Eventually I told the system not to restart in the event of a system error. The next time I tried starting up, I got a BSOD after the "Windows is starting up..." screen with the following error message:

STOP: c000021a (fatal system error)
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

I continued to attempt starting up and actually found varying levels of success. Every now and then, I'll make it to the password screen followed by my actual desktop with everything intact. It gets more random from here...sometimes, I'll be bombarded with error messages, one of which is a winlogin.exe error which reads "Instruction at 0x7c910f1e referenced memory at 0x98626001. The memory could not be read." These messages are usually followed by another automatic restart, and the cycle resumes. In a few other cases, I've started up completely normally with no issues. On both occasions, I've left my computer on for over an hour without issue. I then tried running a Spybot check, and somewhere along the line, my system would again automatically restart. In still other instances, I'd have a successful start up but my computer would eventually restart (anywhere from 5-15 minutes later).

I am able to start up successfully in safe mode. I'm attempting to run a Spybot check in safe mode as I type this.

I'm definitely at a loss as to how to fix or even diagnose something like this. I appreciate any help I can get with this, but if all else fails, I'm not above backing up my media and document files from my original hard drive onto a backup and slamming in my recovery software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users