Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible FakeAlert still on laptop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 middlegrove

middlegrove

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

My wife clicked on a popup and "Windows Recovery" began to run. It warned her of several issues with her computer, hid most of her desktop icons, files and folders. It also wouldn't allow her access the internet.

I did some research and thought maybe it was a FakeAlert (I believe .grb). I ran malware bytes, iExplore.exe and unhide.exe. The three seemed to do the trick. Everything hidden became unhidden and she was able to access the internet again.

However, the next day when clicking on Internet Explorer the following message pops up simultaneously in two windows:"Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Also, on the homepage that won't fully open, in the address bar where it would normally be set to google.com is this address: g/msn.com/uscon/1

The computer is a Dell Inspiron, Windows 7.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thank you.

-Stephen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users