Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battle Of The AntiVirus

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 infected mqan

infected mqan

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hello BP community, I have been a follower and member in the community for quite some time. I have come to recogonize and use some of BC's 'basic' programs to use to counter infections. I'm sure there are multiple threads reguarding this, and if someone choses not to answer me, I will understand. But my question is:

Are these programs still ideal,and/or highest definition update, or are they outdated?

Avira AntiVirus - AV
SuperAntiSpyware - Spyware
Mbam - Malware

Those are the 3 programs I am most firmiliar with and have come to love. It's been quite some time since i've last checked if these still rule the freeware av world. Recently I have been reading and hearing about Comodo AV. Would someone be able to tell me the newest/best programs to use as of June, 2011.

Thanks,
Mitch

Edited by infected mqan, 06 June 2011 - 04:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Avira is still decent but I don't use it anymore. MalwareBytes is king of Malware removal (Hitman Pro is just as good now though and can remove rootkits too). In my opinion in no specific order the best 3 paid suites are ESET NOD 32, Norton Internet Security 2011 (not 360 or any older version they suck), and Kaspersky 2011. Having said all that I still prefer Microsoft Security Essentials + the full paid version of MalwareBytes and throw a free Comodo Firewall in for free protection thats better then 3 the suites in my opinion and professional experience in the field.

#3 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will keep that in mind. But i'm really wanting to know from professionals what the best freeware as of right now is.
For AV- Should I use Avira free or Comodo free
For Malware- Should I continue to use MBAM?
For spyware- Should I continue to use SupAntiSpy?
Is a firewall completely neccassry?

I appreciate members puting their 2¢ in, but I really would like to hear from professionals. Thanks :D

Edited by infected mqan, 06 June 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#4 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will keep that in mind. But i'm really wanting to know from professionals what the best freeware as of right now is.
For AV- Should I use Avira free or Comodo free
For Malware- Should I continue to use MBAM?
For spyware- Should I continue to use SupAntiSpy?
Is a firewall completely neccassry?

I appreciate members puting their 2¢ in, but I really would like to hear from professionals. Thanks :D

I do virus malware removal for a living I see real life situation everyday and know what works and what doesn't... Most of the so called "professionals" on this site do not see real world situations they only view logs and help remove viruses once people get them and analyze logs. Having said everything I recommended at the end of the day all anti virus software for the most part is all the same and the most important thing is knowing how not to get in trouble in the first place by using common sense and recognizing scams etc....When in doubt never click on something.

Edited by jdbaker82, 06 June 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hello jdbaker82.

Thank you for your comments. However, I would like to take a moment to clear up some misconceptions you clearly have about the way things are run here.

I do virus malware removal for a living I see real life situation everyday and know what works and what doesn't... Most of the so called "professionals" on this site do not see real world situations they only view logs and help remove viruses once people get them and analyze logs.

Are you honestly trying to tell us that log analysis is some kind of magic fairytale realm separate from reality? Let me beg to differ; we deal with real people and real machines just as you do. Additionally, we function as a community; our collective experience and helpfulness far outstrips the capabilities of any individual technician. Those "so called professionals" you mention develop the tools you use every day to make money off of removing malware. ComboFix? Developed by sUBs, a member of this community. MBAM? A number of people on the R&D team at MBAM also serve here.

Let me assure you that there is no one on staff here at BC who is not very well qualified in not only field-relevant knowledge and experience, but also effective communication and a heart to serve.

None of us have challenged your knowledge as a technician. I would advise you not to challenge ours in turn as you obviously lack comprehension of the kind of individuals who volunteer here. Otherwise you will rapidly find yourself unwelcome at this community or any like it on the web.

Thank you, and if you have any questions you may feel free to send me a PM.

~Blade
Forum Global Moderator

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hi infected mqan

You're quite right to love Avira, MBAM and SAS. They're still as good as ever. Avira is the best free A/V I've used by some distance, still has the highest detection rates and is super-light on resources. MBAM and SAS are still the best free on-demand scanners in my opinion aswell.

I also regard the use of a firewall as essential, and I believe Comodo Internet Security (free) is the best firewall around, free or paid. However, the anti virus part of it is not as good as Avira, so I would suggest deselecting that and just installing the firewall and the excellent Defense+, which will give you an extra tier of protection. For optimum security I also recommend selecting proactive security under configuration.

After a lot of trial and error, often learning the hard way (I switched back to Avira recently after Microsoft Security Essentials completely missed the Clean This virus, and I only had Windows firewall at the time), I've found nothing to match the Avira/Comodo/MBAM/SAS combo.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the inputs! Good read, I really appreciate it guys; keep up the good work fellas!
Thanks again!

#9 speedmypc

speedmypc

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

PC System Optimizer - Features and Benefits/Download Antivirus Software

Find comprehensive list of features of best PC system Optimizer with speedmypc.com This product contains all unique set of features that are NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

:step1: Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

:step2: Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

:step3: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

:step4: Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

:step5: The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hello jdbaker82.

Thank you for your comments. However, I would like to take a moment to clear up some misconceptions you clearly have about the way things are run here.

I do virus malware removal for a living I see real life situation everyday and know what works and what doesn't... Most of the so called "professionals" on this site do not see real world situations they only view logs and help remove viruses once people get them and analyze logs.

Are you honestly trying to tell us that log analysis is some kind of magic fairytale realm separate from reality? Let me beg to differ; we deal with real people and real machines just as you do. Additionally, we function as a community; our collective experience and helpfulness far outstrips the capabilities of any individual technician. Those "so called professionals" you mention develop the tools you use every day to make money off of removing malware. ComboFix? Developed by sUBs, a member of this community. MBAM? A number of people on the R&D team at MBAM also serve here.

Let me assure you that there is no one on staff here at BC who is not very well qualified in not only field-relevant knowledge and experience, but also effective communication and a heart to serve.

None of us have challenged your knowledge as a technician. I would advise you not to challenge ours in turn as you obviously lack comprehension of the kind of individuals who volunteer here. Otherwise you will rapidly find yourself unwelcome at this community or any like it on the web.

Thank you, and if you have any questions you may feel free to send me a PM.

~Blade
Forum Global Moderator

I said most and I knew that SUBs wrote combofix.

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

infected mqan, I apologize for the continued hijacking of your thread to deal with this nonsense. I assure you that this will be the last such intrusion.

I said most

Doesn't matter if you said most, a few, or even just one. The only correct assessment would be zero.

I knew that SUBs wrote combofix.

That was a mere example used to prove my point. Do a little research and you'll find many more such examples.

You will now cease hijacking this thread for your defamatory purposes. If you have any questions, you may send me a PM

Thank you,

~Blade
Forum Global Moderator

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users