Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup slowing down.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beeker

Beeker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

I get a little folder with a question mark when my computer is starting up. I've been considering reinstalling the OS. Would a simple drag and drop of my programs to my external hard drive save them from being wiped out if I reinstall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

Is the computer booting at all? If it is I would not worry about it as a simple PRAM reset will fix the issue, it happens to almost all macs. See here for instrucions on how to reset PRAM and NVRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

That looks like it took care of it. Thank you!

I love how simple everything is on Macs!

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

You are welcome! Glad that helped you out. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

I want to bump this very helpful thread about the PRAM reset command; I just used it and my iMac starts like it was new.

Thanks xpds.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

You are welcome, this is one of the best commands for a mac as it is the most common issue with a mac. I rarely use it on my mac mini but on most other macs it is usually an issue.
sigcomp.png 

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

When you reset PRAM are there any settings that you lose? From the articles above and others I've read it doesn't sound like PRAM in os X stores much. Well the startup volume seems like a major biggie that could be a problem except most macs seem to have one hd, one partition.
Since PRAM doesn't seem to store much info it makes me wonder why resetting it would help a slow boot. I haven't tried it yet, but my mac is now a year old and I figure the day is coming.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

There are reasons that a reset will fix issue such as that. But no not any user configurable settings that you would "normally" have to pay any attention to so no worry. :)
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users