Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inherited Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sisterrita

sisterrita

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

First of all,
thank you for being here when needed bleeping computer.com. I would have pulled out my hair by now if it wasn't for your help and advice :clapping:

I have inherited a Dell Laptop-Latitude D600 series, BIOS Version: A13, Pentium M 1.40 GHz/600MHz
Windows XP Professional

When I attempt to start I get:
This system is restricted to authorized users for business purposes only. Click OK to continue. Click OK and I get asked for User Name & Password. Which of course I do not have (as I said I inherited this laptop and she had not used for 2 years and does not remember user name/password). How can I get in to erase previous user name/password and set up my own?

I can go into Safe Mode & this is the only info it will let me get:

Microsoft® Windows XP® (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633: ServicePack1)

(of course these are many listed but all start like this) multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\....

under system security shows;
Primary Password: Disabled
Admin Password: Disabled
Hard Disk drive password: Disabled

Would it be a better idea to take the laptop in and have it wiped and reformatted?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Take it in? If it were my system I'd format and start from scratch, but don't take it anywhere. Just purchase a version of Windows, boot to the disk, format and install. We'll help you with all the steps when you're ready to do it.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Starting fresh with a used computer is always best. That way you can customize it to fit your needs. You won't have the previous owners stuff on it to deal with.

Having said that, IF you can get past the sign in, there might be a recovery partition on the laptop which would allow you to reinstall the operating system. This would save you some money if you do it yourself.

Unfortunately I have no clue on how to get past the sign in. Others may be able to tell you what you need to do.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 June 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#4 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

I have the disks that I got with my desktop, running XP Home on it. can I use them? if so how do I do that without having to sign in? will this be done from safe mode?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

This is a Dell so there should be two disks.
One labelled operating system and the other applications and drivers.
You wont need that one.

Is one of the disks labelled operating system?

I have encountered no problems using a Dell OEM version on another Dell System.
But as a disclaimer, I must state that your results may vary, use at your own risk!
Really, you cant be any worse off than you are now.

Get your drivers from www.dell.com.
Normally I would link you directly to them but I have a terrible connection tonight.

You boot to the CD and delete the existing partiton then format the drive and install it.
You will need drivers for chipset (if necessary) video, sound, modem (if any) and network.

What type of facility was this system used at?

Edit: I forgot to mention to turn the system over and look at the Windows sticker.
If it says home it should work (again, your results may vary!). The facility that had it before may have installed pro for network security

Edited by Eyesee, 06 June 2011 - 09:16 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

Eyesee:

It was used in a business and pro was installed for network security reasons. Yes, one is labeled operating system and the other applications and drivers. The sticker says Windows XP Professional. Can I still use my disks to re-format?

Did a little cleaning up in my "office" and now I have to find the disks again :o Will take a little searching.

Edited by sisterrita, 06 June 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

I must first ask, and no offense ok?

Are you a Nun?

Edited by Eyesee, 06 June 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#8 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

No offense taken. Far from it Eyesee! Although I did graduate from catholic school. Thanks for making me chuckle, I never thought of that when I decided on the user name. I used to post as ichirp but I had forgotten the password I used so I just set up a new account.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

Worse case scenario, order restoration cd's from Dell

Might cost a few bucks but might be worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users