Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Probs,bsod, Unable To Reformat...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stitchtooth

stitchtooth

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:58 AM

hey guys, just came into a problem with my computer turning off whenever id try and load a game onto my computer. its not the disks ive had this game on for 1 yr previously.bare with me here hehe

when i try and load anything the computer was going to a bsod but now is just turning off completely.
ive tried to system restore and cant get a decent date to revert back too.
computer sound sometimes becomes crackily etc

yet my computer allows me to still use applications like msn, web browser etc

so i thought stuff it im going to reformat.
troubles there too... whenever i put in my disk and start up computer, it loads the XP disk, all the data is shown loading and as soon as it says something like starting windows ( just before the first step of reformat shows up like R for repair, C for format etc etc ) my computer once again just turns off like when i try things in windows normally. ive tried format in windows, ive tried everything i can possibally think of, trolling all forums , searching everywhere it still wont give me any idea.
All i can think of is a corrupted HDD...
PLEASE HELP ASAP HAVING COMP WITHDRAWALS :thumbsup:

stitch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

A quick check on your hard disk is to download diagnostic floppy from manufacturer. Mine is Maxtor, with Dos program called Powermax.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

Welcome to BC Stitchtooth.
When was the last time you clean out the inside of your computer? It sounds like a heat problem. When you use programs that load up you processor it over heats and shuts down.
Get a can of "Canned air" or any electronics safe compress air.DO NOT use a common air compressor. It will have moisture and can damage your computer. Blow out all the fans, motherboard, drives(including inside the floppy and CD/DVD). Caution should be taken when dealing with the power supply. It has capacitors and a transformer. A serious shock hazard.
All so temperorily plug in your computer with the case open to see if all the fans are working. Including the case, processor, and video (if present) fans. Also the heat sink ot the processor, althought I don't recommend you remove it.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 stitchtooth

stitchtooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

thankyou for the temperature suggestion.
i got a can of canned air today, went nuts on everything and still the same problems are occuring.
what do you think i should look at next?
thanks, stitch

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

If it's clean and all the fans are turning I would first look at the Eveny Viewer in the Administrative Tools. See if the problem was caught by windows.
If that does not pan out try a memory test to se if your memory has failed.
Here is a list of some utilities..

Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes

#6 stitchtooth

stitchtooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

i used everest for a system test, did a full system report and there is no memory failure, i extensively read over everything ( to see if i may have had a surging dvd rom drive etc ) and absolutely nothing can be found wrong....

this is weird ... very weird lol

everything is running fine, but as soon as i try and load something to the computer using a disk it just dies...

and when i try reformat it does the same thing.

i dont understand.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:42 AM

What does the BSOD say? Normally, it's in the format: 0x0000007b (with other numbers following that. Also, sometimes there is a filename right after that - is there one on your's, and if so, what is it?

Normally, BSOD's are hardware related. And, it's been my experience that a large portion of these problems are driver related. The 3 most common things that seem to cause these problems are:
1) a lack of Windows Updates
2) corrupted Video Drivers
3) corrupted Motherboard drivers

Updating these things are usually the first step in remedying this sort of problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 stitchtooth

stitchtooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:29 AM

could you be so kind to point me in the direction of a mobo driver update for a HP pavilion zv5000 laptop? i cant seem to find em :thumbsup: thankyou

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

This link will ask you for the specific model: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la....x=2&submit.y=8

Presuming that you have an nVidia chipset, you may be able to locate the appropriate nFORCE chipset driver from here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Please be absolutely sure of the version of your nForce drivers before trying to install the updated drivers! nForce drivers are typically found in versions 1 through 4.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

This linl may also help... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...t=385148&os=228

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users