Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't stop computer from freezing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bradam

bradam

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

I am posting this from another computer.

The problem computer is running Windows XP. I did a clean install on a new hard drive and added extra RAM. All updates were downloaded and the computer ran flawlessly for several months. Yesterday my wife told me she got booted off IE and a blue screen popped up. Nothing I've tried has worked.

Restored to an earlier date, tried to scan with antivirus (Bullguard), tried to scan in safe mode, put the old hard drive back in and slaved the new one, started again in safe mode and tried to scan. Same thing. Whatever infected the new drive must have crossed over to the old one. Neither drive will boot to a workable version of windows. All kinds of error messages come up while the startup process goes to the desktop. "Need to register this version of windows" "registry error has been found and fixed" "windows explorer must close because of an error" Eventually the system stops responding and a blue screen comes up.

Found a "Dr Watsons postmortem debugger" in the processes. It took me several attempts to stop this with 'end process' before it didn't return on the list. I've never seen this process on any computer before.

Is there a download that I can burn to cd and boot and scan from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 bradam

bradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

No, I cannot boot in safe mode

Dell Dimension

#4 pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

I am posting this from another computer.

The problem computer is running Windows XP. I did a clean install on a new hard drive and added extra RAM. All updates were downloaded and the computer ran flawlessly for several months. Yesterday my wife told me she got booted off IE and a blue screen popped up. Nothing I've tried has worked.

Restored to an earlier date, tried to scan with antivirus (Bullguard), tried to scan in safe mode, put the old hard drive back in and slaved the new one, started again in safe mode and tried to scan. Same thing. Whatever infected the new drive must have crossed over to the old one. Neither drive will boot to a workable version of windows. All kinds of error messages come up while the startup process goes to the desktop. "Need to register this version of windows" "registry error has been found and fixed" "windows explorer must close because of an error" Eventually the system stops responding and a blue screen comes up.

Found a "Dr Watsons postmortem debugger" in the processes. It took me several attempts to stop this with 'end process' before it didn't return on the list. I've never seen this process on any computer before.

Is there a download that I can burn to cd and boot and scan from?

If you remove the ram you installed and just use the old sticks do you still have issues on boot?

#5 bradam

bradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

You got it. Works fine with the old simms.

Does this mean the new stick is defective and died?

#6 pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

You got it. Works fine with the old simms.

Does this mean the new stick is defective and died?

Possibly, or it could mean you bought the wrong ones - did you double check the type and speed? Is this for a desk top? How many slots do you have? How many sticks are you using? I typically like to offset sticks in the slots, so for instance slot A (new stick) slot B nothing (or old stick) Slot C (new stick) slot D nothing (or old stick). How many gigs is the new stick and are you using a 32 or 64 bit processor?

Edited by pityocamptes, 06 June 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#7 bradam

bradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

I checked and double checked before I bought a 1Gb simm. The salesman at Compusa assured me that it was the correct memory for the Dimension. There are only two slots. I left one of the 256's in and replaced the other. It's an older 32bit machine. I don't know if it matters in which slot the larger memory is placed. But once again, the machine worked great for about two months and then wham.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Check this out: How to find the new Memory module you need

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic396814.html

Run the Crucial scanner from your computer; it will tell you what is appropriate for your system.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

If the memory is correct...and your board accommodates 1GB modules...I would remove the two smaller modules and go with the 1GB...and see if it boots.

The link Pete provided will show what your system accommodates as far as module size.

Louis

#10 bradam

bradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Will not run with the solo 1Gb Will try to return for replacement.

Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users